Have the prices been sneaked up?

I just had a nose at the Skoda price list for the new octavia and noticed that the 2.0 TDI Elegance is now showing as 16650 where it was 16400 before.

I'm not 100% sure , but I think a few of the other prices have sneaked up as well.

It's fair enough that prices have to rise occasionally , but they did keep that quiet

Tell me about the fuel prices, A couple of weeks ago around here U/L was 79.9 a litre. Today I paid 85.9 a litre, it went up around 4p a litre over the weekend it seems.

Diesel 98.9 in Kendal, Cumbria last Tuesday and 93.9 - 95.9 coming south on the A1 Wednesday. Thank God for a 70 litre tank so I can pick and choose a bit where to fill and still get 6-700 miles between fills.

Back onto topic, I think some of the Octavia prices are now too high and Skoda must be losing sales. When I bought my first Octy vRS in 2001 it was because, power for pound, there was no comparison. That is no longer the case. The new Octy vRS is rumoured to be listed at

Back onto topic, I think some of the Octavia prices are now too high and Skoda must be losing sales. When I bought my first Octy vRS in 2001 it was because, power for pound, there was no comparison. That is no longer the case. The new Octy vRS is rumoured to be listed at

Agreed , they aren't competing on price as much as before.

All the reviews have said how the new octy is every bit as good a car as the competition and it *is* still cheaper , just not as much of a difference as before.

My problem with the Avensis and 6 is simply the take it or leave it attitude to spec. and the standard specs.and very limited options on offer are either too sparse for me or include things I definitely don't want to have/pay for. Take the Avensis estate. If you want the 2 litre diesel you are limited to base trim or base plus a bit and satnav. No thanks. I'm having what I want for my money, not what it suits Toyota to put on offer. The VAG approach of decent options lists suits me fine. I just choose the model and options carefully, trying for best value for me now and at resale. And look at the Avensis residuals. Residuals for the 6 look good, however.

The price of Octavia has gone up. When I was contemplating getting one, the dealer phoned me up a few days later telling me the prices were going up and they would freeze the price for me if I bought one from them that they had in stock at the time. I thought they were just using scare tactics to make me buy ASAP so I decided not to use that dealer and go elsewhere. I got a better deal from another dealer, who kept the earlier price and gave me a better part ex price for my Saxo. Not long to go now either, 5 weeks tomorrow :D

I think that skoda are slowly eaaking up the prices in order to loose the budget brand image altogether. Their cars are a match for anything in the VAG range on quality and lets face it theres no real reason why they shouldn't sell for more. I believe a few years down the line skoda will be sitting where vw is now with their products selling at a premium, vw will be taken further up market perhaps where Audi is now and Audi will, as is slowly happening, be seen as the alternative to the mercs and bmw's

I think that skoda are slowly eaaking up the prices in order to loose the budget brand image altogether. Their cars are a match for anything in the VAG range on quality and lets face it theres no real reason why they shouldn't sell for more. I believe a few years down the line skoda will be sitting where vw is now with their products selling at a premium, vw will be taken further up market perhaps where Audi is now and Audi will, as is slowly happening, be seen as the alternative to the mercs and bmw's

Unless there's been a strategic change, VAG's target brand for Skoda is Volvo, so prices should rise to Volvo S40/V40 territory for the Octy II

"Unless there's been a strategic change, VAG's target brand for Skoda is Volvo, so prices should rise to Volvo S40/V40 territory for the Octy II"

And therein lies their problem. I fear it will be a long time before Skoda lose their "cheap" image which is why the Superb struggles. I have a professional career and most of my peers and business contacts drive BMW/Audi/Volvo/Merc etc - I have no such desire to spend that much on a badge as I have other hobbies that soak up my spare income and I don't feel the need to have a car badge to show the world how much I earn. I am perfectly happy with a car that gets from A to B reliably and reasonably quickly. However, when talking to my peers and I tell them I drive a Skoda they snort with laughter. I have tried to convince several people to try out the Octavia or Superb but none of them would be seen dead in a Skoda. My own opinion is that Skoda should stick to what it does best - cheap cars with VAG build quality and reliability cos Volvo drivers won't buy Skodas

Couldn't agree more Rondo

Came from a Saab to the Octavia.

Guys at work all laughed but now they have been in the Skoda most of them are pretty sick at the spec on the 2.0TDi Elegance Estate that I ended up with.

I certainly couldn't see the point in spending another