Yeti 103tdi metallic /vacuum noise

Bopman

Hello everyone...My Skoda Yeti has developed an unusual noise which seems to develop when hot whilst accelerating (And can be heard faintly when stationary)..It can go for a couple of days without doing it and then it starts for no apparent reason!

I had it into the Skoda dealer yesterday (Under warranty) for 3 hours where it decided to behave itself and yet decided to misbehave 1 hour later after I'd left!

I drove around recording it last week and the dealer has heard the playback and at least realises that I haven't escaped from the local loony bin although if it doesn't get resolved soon, I'll be in one, wearing a straight jacket!!

The dealership informs me that a software update is available for the car to resolve a steering issue where the computer detects a possible wheel alignment fault when one isn't present, although, I'm not sure what that is all about...It couldn't be done anyway, due to the Volkswagen server being down at the time and it isn't relevant to my problem.

I'm arranging for the dealer to have it over a few days when they can let me have a loan car...I'm posting this noise in the form of an mp3 in the hope that someone may have had a similar problem or at least will be inoculated before getting it.

Yeti noise.mp3

Hi Freedom..It rises and falls with RPM but is particularly noticeable when pulling away under load and then kind of remains in the background..Sometimes it's louder than others!

I've been under the car and removed the noise insulation assembly and have looked everywhere underside and topside of the engine,exhaust system including all the bits of thin shielding underneath the car, drive shafts, etc. and all seems well!

The dealer did a diagnostic check on clutches and checked for fault codes, but alas absolutely nothing!!!

They even ran the transmission with the wheels off the ground...With only 6000kms on the clock, I wasn't expecting to have problems and the car otherwise drives like a dream.

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress on the location of the noise on my Yeti..It's been into the dealership who claimed that the noise was coming from the windscreen washer pipe in the bonnet (And I've just seen a plastic pig flying past my window I thought!)

I collected the car after they'd had it for 2 days and the noise started later in the evening, so out of curiosity I thought I'd take a look at what had been done and was somewhat annoyed to find that they'd taped the pipe to the inner bonnet with brown packing tape, needless to say that after removing the tape, they got a verbal serving from me this morning!!

Anyway I'm close to finding the problem in that when the noise occurs, if I put the aircon on, it immediately stops!..Needless to say I notified Skoda Australia and won't be taking it back to the dealership who used the packing tape.

I posted the noise >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzITxLyDrE

Hopefully it'll be properly sorted over the next few days and I can get down to enjoying driving it...Western Australia has a total of 4 Skoda dealerships throughout.

• 1 month later...

AT LAST!!!...The mystery noise has gone!!!!!...It turned out to be a faulty air con compessor that finally got replaced last week after the dealer struggled to find one here in Australia.

After locating one here, it was used on another vehicle so they had to get my replacement unit shipped over from Singapore.

For the first time in months, I'm actually enjoying driving this car, especially after having been given the use of a VW Polo TSI for the day and a new Octavia wagon (Estate car in english) :happy:

I actually rather liked the Octavia and I thought the idea of having a rear boot mat that is carpeted on one side and rubber on the other is a good idea, something I feel that should be changed on the Yeti where you have that horrid fold that gets in the way when you lower or remove the rear seats.

Janette and I took the Yeti away for 2 days camping with our new roof pod on board, which after arriving home, unloading it and depositing it on our back lawn, decided to go concave on one side on a 42 degree Celsius day!!...I won't mention the brand and the manufacturers are trying to find out what went wrong!

Another story perhaps, but at least the Yeti hasn't melted in the sun. :sun:

I'm now using Liqui Moly TOP TECH 4200 5W - 30 in the hope that it's as good as people claim, especially in view of our extreme summer temperature's.