So I have this rubber boot cracked (see photo) and need to replace it.

post-94603-0-30050200-1384568715_thumb.jpg

The manual says I need first to remove all pins from the plug shown below.

post-94603-0-83556300-1384568722_thumb.jpg

I inserted a thin flat screwdriver below pin (arrow) and pulled the wire but nothing happened. I tried also above pin. I even tried with two screwdrivers simultaneosly. Nada. Zip.

post-94603-0-37076600-1384568729_thumb.jpg

I know it's embarrasing not to solve it myself, but that little bugger is in a place hard to reach, so I'm almost doing it by feel. What is the secret? Do you have a photo of a pin?

Edited by adurer

There's a metal tab on both sides of those terminal pins if I recall, you need to squeeze in both sides at the same time, there is a proper vag tool which has 2 prongs for ejecting those but it can only by bought as part of the complete set of terminal tools for about £300..

it's hard to describe them, but the metal tabs stick out at an angle facing towards the wire side and it clicks into a slot in the plastic housing when it's inserted, to eject them you are trying to flatten the tab against the terminal and it's really tricky to do without the correct size tool.

Thanks for reply. Is the tool looking like this?

post-94603-0-69756300-1384570000_thumb.jpg

I thought the pin looks like this:

post-94603-0-58773500-1384570330_thumb.jpg

So it's definitely a double-tab pin?

Edited by adurer

Oh, now I see why I couldn't get those #ing pins out and my hair got slightly gray...

I don't know the manufacturer, ETKA serial for the female plug is 191972734. I believe it is used on many VAG cars.

Sorry for keeping you awake.

To do a botched job as follows:

Cut all the wires remove offending rubber gaiter.

Strip back each end of cut wires.

Slip crimp sleeve over one end of each wire and crimp tight.

Slide new gaiter over the crimped ends.

Push other corresponding wires into opposite end of crimp sleeves and crimp tight.

Bind wires and crimped sleeves in electrical tape.

Refit gaiter ends into correct holes. 

End of botched job.. LOL

post-19613-0-40966000-1384587440_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of the cables have already broken themselves in mine. I lost the brake light once and then I think it was the number plate lights. (Used those crimped connectors on both.)

Is the rubber gaiter easy to come by? Mine's badly split too and just taped up at present.

Edited by Red Studio

I guess I'll have to pay a visit to a breaker yard and fish for an identical connector. Then I'll have to build a sturdy pin extractor because, as I said before, the connector on my car is half behind left side rear panel and I need that tool to work flawlessly eyes closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

It turns out it's harder than I thought to take out those pins. The connector is called 'VW junior' and here is the tool I have to duplicate. Otherwise there's no chance in hell to succeed.