Octavia timeing belt inspection

Current VAG deal is still £350 inc vat for belt, tensioner and wheels. Another £100 to do the water pump at the same time.

I got my previous one done by an independent, but after pricing up the kit & pump at GSF decided that this time I'd use my local Skoda dealer

The down side of going to the Skoda dealer on this occasion is that, 2 weeks later, the alternator belt has excited stage left, and the car managed to run on the total loss electrical system for a whole 4 miles before leaving me with no power steering, no lights, no ability to open the windows to indicate etc.

If it had been light, I could possibly have nursed it home as, despite having all the warning lights and messages occasionally appear on the dash, the engine kept running, but in the dark I had no option but to get to the side of the road and abandon it.

Because of the time, and the fact we were going out last night, during waiting for the RAC to recover me wasn't an option, so a quick call to my local independent battery shop, and he popped down in the van and fitted the biggest Exide battery that would fit (760 Ah vice the original 540 Ah), and that got me home -still running total loss - no problem.

Think I'll be heading back to Skoda at the weekend, when it's light, and giving them my best Paddington stare.

Not happy.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

When i had my timing belt & water pump replaced i also had the aux belt replaced,no extra labour charge as belt has to come off anyway,just paid for belt.

same as above, Skoda recommended to do the aux belt at the same time when I got my cambelt changed as it doesn't cost anymore labour

I'm never one to stick up for main dealers but is there any saying that this wouldn't have happened at any other garage? Personally as the aux belt has to come off to get to the timing belt I'd probably replace both belts at the same time

Oh you're completely right and I'm probably just grumpy after my walk in the rain, however I would expect that at the main dealer workshop would align, tension, use loctite, torque stuff up etc in line with Skoda's recommendations.

Anyway, the belt's been recovered from the engine bay, is in great condition and fine to go back on.