music in a classic octavia

Hi there

I'm hopefully about to get a 2001 Octavia Classic- I was wondering if anyone could tell me what stereo and speakers it comes with- I doubt it has the 8 speakers of higher spec cars and couldnt see any speakers in the rear parcel shelf, so am now sceptial of whether there are many speakers behind all those screens!

Also, would a VW gamma unit fit in the octavia- and does that feed component speakers or just 4 standard speakers?

Hope all that makes sense, just getting to grips with ICE!

Cheers, Rob

If it's a UK model, it should come with 4 speakers (which, IIRC, consitutes a pair of front mids and a pair of front tweeters).

The VW Gamma should fit, the only issue you might have is with the security code (don't know a whole lot about VW radios). Personally, I wouldn't bother swapping it as the VW unit is unlikely to be much/any better than the Skoda unit...if you are going to swap, go with an aftermarket unit, as it'll sound much much better. :)

Rob.

Ok thanks for that- I was thinking of making the car up to 8 speakers- but am confused over crossovers: do component speakers actually *need* crossovers, and do the component speakers that come as standard in the octavia have any?

Cheers, Rob

Ok thanks for that- I was thinking of making the car up to 8 speakers- but am confused over crossovers: do component speakers actually *need* crossovers, and do the component speakers that come as standard in the octavia have any?

For best results, it's best to put a crossover on component speakers - the standard components have a resistor on the back of them which provides a crossover of sorts.

You might find some component manufacturers do the same thing...personally though, I wouldn't both with components unless you're going fairly high-end with the entire installation, a lot of moderately priced co-axial speakers will do the job as well and are quicker to fit...

Rob.