Citigo Recall?

shrub

Hello Citigoers,

Mrs Shrub and Mother Shrub have received "product enhancement" notification letters from VW this morning for their VW UP!s. I am assuming that this free of charge  'product enhancement' work is New Labour for a recall. I cannot find what it relates to and so wondered if any of you have recently received a notice for your Citigos? There is a good chance it will affect both models.

The code is 24AH. The only recall I have found on the VOSA site dates back to May, has a different code, and relates to the side airbags. I'll ring the dealer on Monday.

??????

Both of our cars were built mid to late 2012 (62 plate). There is now a thread (without answers) on the Up owners club forum. I will let you all know what it is all about on Monday. 

• Like 2

Just coming on to post about this, (I'm the guy from the other site)

and ye exactly as Leckman said, took my citigo in for its first service, when they connected to the computer flashed up saying recall for an ECU upgrade. couldn't or wouldn't give me any specifics, car seems fine, but then it did before it went in :happy:

Peter

Didn't get a chance to ring the dealer today but from what I have just read on the UP! owners club it is an engine management upgrade. 30 min job, apparently. For the record, both of our cars are the 1.0 60ps unit. When I do phone up I will enquire as to what issue/s the upgrade is supposed to address.

There is also a post on the up! owners website about the recall,again just an update to the ECU software,no other info.

Some one else on the up! website says its something to do with the cooling system.

The update is only for cars built as model year 2012 and 2013. It should correct a possible fault in the engine control unit which COULD activate the cooling fans when it is not needed after having stopped the engine. :-)

Recalls are safety related and are done by the manufacturer in association with VOSA and the DVLA, where the owners are notified by the manufacturer and the car is booked in.  A recall stays open until a certain percentage of affected vehicles have been rectified. 

A product enhancement is where the manufacturer has identified the cause of a non safety related fault and has provided a fix for it which is usually applied on a scheduled workshop visit.

Sometimes a manufacturer will identify a fault, provide a fix but only allow the fix to be carried out where the customer has reported the fault.  Skoda did this with the MK1 Fabia Automatic, where sometimes the engine would cut out in light rain.  The problem was identified as electrical interference from the intermittent wipers and the fix was to replace the engine ECU with a revised one that had an extra diode fitted.  I think that with such an expensive part involved, they didn't want to replace too many.

How do we know if you been effected, mines a September 2012 62 reg, went in for first service in September didn't hear anything from them then.

Can ring the dealer, wait for them to get in touch with you, or it'll get done at the next service.

The reason why you didn't hear anything about it in September is Skoda didn't issue it to dealers til approx 19th December this year

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my letter today for a software update. It's called a Product Enhancement 24AI.

Quite a brief letter asking to book it in and will take about 20 to 30 mins.

I'll probally do it this week.

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

24AI is mentioned on an Italian forum. Google translation:

Posted by Zimotik 20/12/2013

Škoda Citigo

action 24AI

Frames interested in :

TMB ? ? AA ? C D 000 046 to 606 821

TMB ? ? AA ? D D 600 001 to 650 254

Technical justification :

In response to a deviation in the engine control software each time the ignition is switched on and switched off again the control unit for radiator fan is activated . The duration of the radiator fan control unit may be impaired over time

remedy:

software update

Not all frames are interested in the range

There is no notice to the client, but an operation is performed on the occasion of the first service

Ours is DD634 ??? (Feb 2013 build) so will wait for the letter or probably the service due in early March?