Puddle of water in the rear drivers side footwell

Aaquil

Hi

Hope you guys can help me out here...my 2002 Octavia 4x4 1.8T Elegance is giving me a major headache!  A few weeks ago the rear car mat was wet I presumed one of my boys had decided to spill a load of water or juice in the back (where the younger ones usually sit).  Gave them the usual lecture "...don't do it again blah, blah, blah."  Now in the last few weeks we have had a lot of rain.  Took them out today there is now a full puddle of water in the rear footwell and the driver footwell is a bit wet.

Have been reading the different posts and have done a few things:

1. Cleaned the 'compost' from behind the plastic wheel arches on both sides at the front.

2. Checked the Sunroof for leaks and that the drain holes are free.  Seemed okay but there was some moisture around the edges near the drain holes.  Could be that?

3. Pollen filter issue changed i myself many months ago seemed fine and the leak is on the opposite side of the car.  Only had a leak recently and it always rain up here in the Northwest.

4. Cable for the bonnet opening cannot see as that area is covered in leaves but the leaves are dry!  It rained last night as well.

5. Check drain holes at the bottom of both doors they also seem fine.

My mechanic friend said he would check it out but it will still cost me so please help out.  Hope that all makes sense?

Idiot guides much appreciated as well.

What should I do next?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaquil

Slightly but none of the plastic trim or carpet up the sides of the footwell are wet?!  A few years I had the electric window mechanism replaced on the drivers door.

Also the wet patch in the drivers footwell seems to have appeared from nowhere right in the middle of the carpet.

Might be worth popping off the drivers door panel and seeing if the membrane is still intact (and sealed along the bottom).

Windscreen been replaced recently?

I would start with the door membranes. After fitting the led puddle lights I now have a wet carpet in the rear. After cutting into the plastic membrane, I haven't sealed it right its leaking. But, the carpet up the side is dry it runs down past there and soaks the foot well. If, after a downpour the water is pooling on the top part of the door seal, its the membrane leaking in. I took the door card off today, got in the back, closed the door and got my son to pour water down the glass on the outside. I was shocked how much water runs inside the doors. And i could see the leak.

Thank you for the replies.  Windscreen has not been replaced at all.  However, a good few months ago I replaced the pollen filter and had a right nightmare getting the plastic panelling off at the bottom of the windscreen.  The passenger side is perfectly dry though?

I will have to do the door panel.  Not sure will be able to just pop it off!  Can anyone give me a guide to what to look for and seal when I finally get it off.  

The main leak is the rear footwell (driver side).  The driver footwell has a wet patch (no way as much right in the centre of the carpet?!!  Any ideas on that one?

Again, many thanks for the help.

Also, which sealant would you recommend if I did need to seal the door and I found the leak.  Ideally being the time of year something I could easily from Halfrauds or B&Q.  

do not use sealant unless you really need to buddy. The door leaks for only 3 reasons

- Door inner panel plastic membrain(these can be damaged from speaker installs) and if broken allow water that runs down into cabin floor

- Door rubbers( weak door rubbers will not seal over the metal door frame/lip)

- Door drainage blocked

Or a combination of all 3

You need the door to have good clean drainage at the bottom to not allow build up of water. So check and clean out.

Make sure you use a good water proof tape to seal the plastic membrain to door if loose.

I have seen lot's of doors without these membrain at all.

you can see mine taped up.  I fitted puddle lights and the little plug near the bottom of door i made sure was also tight in membrain. I may seal that later if i get any leaks but so far so good.

2013-12-01132313_zps86f9ca19.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.  I will get some waterproof duct tape that should hopefully be okay?  Also the area where my pollen filter is and the cable for the bonnet latch has a lot of leaves stuck there.

Can anyone help me out with an idea of how to get to that space to clear the area out and how to check the 'grommets'.  Many thanks for the help.

Aaquil

Have also pushed a cable tie into each drainage hole seems to be no blockage issues on both doors front and rear.  Any suggestions if there is no membrane?!!!

Edited by Aaquil

Can anyone help me out with an idea of how to get to that space to clear the area out and how to check the 'grommets'.  Many thanks for the help.

Aaquil

Here is a guide to removing wipers but is useful to get to the drain channels

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/188189-front-wiper-linkage-and-motor-removal/

Also I have some pics in this guide lower down that may also be helpful

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/223636-diy-guide-for-fitting-cruise-control/

Have also pushed a cable tie into each drainage hole seems to be no blockage issues on both doors front and rear.  Any suggestions if there is no membrane?!!!

Suggest you remove door panel and take a look and then go from there buddy.  no point just guessing.

A membrain can be made up easy from plastic sheeting got in places like B&Q .

You defo need it if not present.  

Thank you so much for the help and advice will try to get on the case in the next few days.  The guides are excellent!  Great job that is just how people like me are able to save a hell of a lot of time and money doing these jobs.

While I am in there cleaning it all out what am I looking for to check/fix?  Pollen filter housing issue and bonnet cable?

Regards

Aaquil.

Thank you so much for the help and advice will try to get on the case in the next few days.  The guides are excellent!  Great job that is just how people like me are able to save a hell of a lot of time and money doing these jobs.

While I am in there cleaning it all out what am I looking for to check/fix?  Pollen filter housing issue and bonnet cable?

Regards

Aaquil.

That is the way we all learn buddy. Someone passing info on and then you become confident and do the same If I know it I will share it. :rock:

It will become obvious to you when you check. when you remove plastic panel at each end towards inner wings is a hole and grommet. Those need to be clear and free from any crud and leaves and anything that will prevent water flow out of that scuttle panel.

here is a pic of my inner wing (when I removed outer wing when it got damaged) You can see the wire coming out of the hole at bottom of scuttle panel.

These holes either end need to be clear. If you removed wheel arch liner and cleared the crud out you could of got to this hole also.

Although I was amazed with the amount of leaved and crud in the scuttle panel too.

I would also replace pollen Filter whilst you have the top plastic panel removed as these get forgotten and get really dirty

VRSwingreplace18.jpg 

One more thing...when I cleaned out the 'compost' from the DRIVERS SIDE FRONT WHEEL ARCH I found a block of foam and not knowing exactly where to fit it I just pushed it back up and screwed the plastic of the wheel arch back in place.  Any ideas what it is for or where it should go?

One more thing...when I cleaned out the 'compost' from the DRIVERS SIDE FRONT WHEEL ARCH I found a block of foam and not knowing exactly where to fit it I just pushed it back up and screwed the plastic of the wheel arch back in place. Any ideas what it is for or where it should go?

I think that foam block fits around the indicator plug and to the inner wing. Kinda just close to the plastic arch liner. Can't remember it's purpose tbh.

Sent from my Samsung S3

UPDATE...Just done the areas around the pollen filter and bonnet hatch cable.  Cleared out the leaves and mud.  Poured water in both areas and drained well through quite large holes on the side close to those areas and came out at the wheel arches (rear part where I cleaned out the compost).

GREAT...lets get on with the drivers door panel...got the trim off and as expected the 'mechanics' that replaced the window mechanism a few years ago have totally removed the membrane!!!

Now a need a replacement...ANY IDEAS?  Anywhere I can get hold of some tomorrow maybe B&Q OR Halfords.  Does it have to be clear and thin as the original was.  Or should I just try SKODA when they are open.  There is rolls of membrane you can buy off ebay not sure when it will be delivered?

Many thanks for all the help...especially BOWDERS1 you have been a great help.

Another thing I wanted to check..the grommets around the cable/wires near the pollen filter and around the bonnet hatch cable how do you know they are clear?  I cleaned out all the mud and leaves and I poured water into both areas there was no build up and both sides drained from around the arches.  So is that okay now?

Edited by Aaquil
  • Like 1

Good job.

I would say the bulkhead is clear if water is running down through the holes.

For the door membrane just get any plastic sheet in B&Q and cut it you shape. Colour don't matter but must be thick enough not to tear. I can get more pics up if it helps.

Sent from my Samsung S3

• Like 1