Winter TDI CR 105 Biofuel winter diesel problem?

Flavio

Hi all, we've got a 10 reg 1.6 cr tdi 105. It's been a great little car upto a couple of months ago. I should say now this is NOT a moan about fuel consumption in general vs published figures... Recently we have had a few issues dpf has been fine always regenerated with no problems car is on the motorway every day and this clears it no problem at all. What we are experiencing is a severe lack of power and fuel consumption that was in the 60's last year now at mid 40's doing the same trips as this time last year. The car is also very rough sounding and makes almost a pinking noise pretty much all if the time.

We have had it on the computer - no faults found which surprised me greatly! The car has never shown any warming lights and does everything as normal it just has a lack of power and rubbish reduced economy, it's done 38k and was very much enjoyed prior to these events!

Has anyone else had these type of problems? Or better still a cure?

We've tried expensive "ultimate" diesel etc and it makes no difference...

I've just read an article about increased biofuel in winter diesel and waxing of filters which I'll get replaced at next service does anyone know if this may help? I guess if it's a bad batch of diesel that has killed the fuel filter it won't clear before a very hot summer or until it's been replaced.

Really like to get it sorted before cam belt in May and new front rubber which is due imminently.

At this rate it's going to find itself on a dealers forecourt!

Any help of advice would be great.

Merry Christmas all!

The diesel is not going to wax unless you have had temperatures below -10*oC degrees, possibly below -15*oC once you are on Winter Grade Diesel.

In Scotland and the North of England that usually starts leaving the Depots on the 15th of October.

Condensation in your tank now from a Filling Station, or in your filter could be a risk.

?? What was the fuel you were using before trying the Good Fuel?

If your fuel consumption is so poor now,

it might prove economic to get a new Fuel Filter fitted

worth a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25234840

PS,

has your Air Filter and Air Filter Box interior been looked at,

Just to be sure they Air Filter is not wet, and is in good condition.

PPS

Have you changed rear tyres on the car this year for a different make/tread ?

Or is the first tyre change with the fronts after 38,000 miles

Did you have a look at the live data when your car was plugged in to the diagnostic machine?

Do have lack of power going up hill or just in general? Could be you're coolant temp sensor but can't be sure on it with out having the actual car to check over.

Have you been to your trusted local garage and asked what they say?

You need to replace your fuel filter the biofuel in the diesel clogs the filter  

I have replaced about 10 fuel filter on breakdowns for work all of them to do with fuel. The biofuel is made up of a mix of vegetable oil or animal fat and this issue involves potential "waxing" which clogs the fuel filer particularly in cold weather

Hi all,

Yeah tyres are the same ones as last year Dunlop sp1's which is what it's had from day one. Fuel was always sainsburys in the summer alternated with shell - when the problem started, tried texaco standard and ultimate - no change so back to to sainsburys as I've never had a problem. Computer was live and stored no problems logged or present. So had a word with my trusted local mechanic and we're gonna try a fuel filter on Monday, it had one in May 13 along with a host of other stuff main dealers hadn't done during the cars life - ill report back when this is fitted, we're in rainy gloucester if the fuel thing is regional...

All the best,

Until Monday guys....

Right we now have a new fuel filter fitted - first signs are good, it's pulling like a train again and doesn't need to be in a gear lower than normal to function properly - good news! But I guess time will tell over the coming week or so...

There are some posts on here that mention you must have the car plugged into a computer to change the fuel filter or you'll blow the car up, my trusted mechanic almost passed out laughing!! It's a simple job which any one with a spanner can do. It does take a few turns to prime filter but nowt excessive if you have this problem get the filter from a car parts store from Europe (you know where I mean) and do it yourself for about £15.

Happy new year all!