Kenwood DNX521DAB - How do you update Maps and activate TMC on Sat Nav

Just had a DNX521DAB fitted to my Superb by Skoda dealer. Had it fitted with iPod connection (to control my iPod classic) but was told this was at the expense of the USB connection - told I could only have one or the other - is this correct or can you have a lead that has both available? Reason I ask, is I want to know how to update the maps on the Garmin part of the unit and activate the TMC. According to the the Garmin site I need to connect my pc/laptop to the unit to check to see if the unit needs updating and to download updates. Also I want to be able to add POI's etc, and to activate the TMC for the UK. Does anyone know how to do all this as the documentation on the web and the supplied disk does not explain how. If you check Kenwood's site they say check Garmin's site. Garmin's site seems more generic rather than have documentation regarding the DNX units. Quite frustrating - was just wondering if anyone has been through this process at all.

Edited by THFCandy

Hi and welcome to Briskoda :)

If you are not afraid of popping the headunit out, have a look at the back and see if there is anything in the USB port, if not, I would humbly submit putting an extension cable on there to save having to pop it out whenever you want to update........

12_DNX521DAB_E_BACK_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For the TMC activation you need to first get a code from the DNX521DAB (sorry I forget how think it is in the Garmin menu) then you ring Garmin UK quoting this code and they will give you back an activation code which you then enter into the head unit to unlock TMC.

I don't think you can add or backup PoIs on this unit as it appears to be pretty locked down to prevent the use of hot maps.  Upgrading of the overall firmware (DNX & Garmin) is done using the rear USB port and a blank USB key.  As another poster has said route the USB cable out through the glove box so you have access to it.  As far as I know map updates are either via microSD port or DVD but not USB.

I would consider firmware updates to the Kenwood to be very flakey an usually when they fix one bug they create two other ones.  One previous firmware update killed bluetooth for me and Kenwood support said I had to send the unit back so I asked them for downgrade firmware and as i didn't fancy a hole in my dash for 2-3 weeks, the Kenwood technician asked me to hold tight and low and behold a week or so later there was a firmware upgrade for my unit with no need to send back...

Below is firmware update link & instructions for latest version which has proven stable for me.

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2012/2012b/eng.html

DNX521DAB is physically a nice unit with a reasonable feature set but lack of bluetooth streaming is unforgivable as is lack of voice dialling.  The garmin interface is good but the rest of the DNX interface is so dinky and small as to be unsafe to use while driving in my opinion.....to much "sexy" look and not enough "ease of use" 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same unit as the OP.

My ipod lead is a usb connection. The lead is routed into the glovebox. Just unplug the ipod usb connection and plug in a blank memory stick, then follow the instruction on the Kenwood website.

Radders567,

Hi. I am thinking of getting this or rather the 520 off fleabay as a upgrade to my swing unit. I do use the medialink with a usb-hardrive connected.

Can you provide more details of your setup especually the usb-ipod link

thanks

D

fabia 11 plate. vrs.

Radders567,

Hi. I am thinking of getting this or rather the 520 off fleabay as a upgrade to my swing unit. I do use the medialink with a usb-hardrive connected.

Can you provide more details of your setup especually the usb-ipod link

thanks

D

fabia 11 plate. vrs.

I got my ipod lead off of ebay, it is just a normal usb with an audio jack wired into it that attached to the rear of the unit.

You could just use a usb extension cable into you glove box and the attach your HDD just like you would for a usb stick. Both work fine.

In my glovebox there is a standard iPod connector (old type) and a USB lead that plugs into another if that makes sense? (2x USB plugged together to form a loop).

When I did a firmware update I down loaded the info from Kenwood unzipped it and dumped it to a USB stick, then plugged into the USB in glove box (take them apart and plug into female usb) then followed the instructions on the unit.

Not sure it had map updates or anything to do with tmc think it was a unit firmware update.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering one of these for our Yeti and wouldn't be interested unless it's possible to add POIs.

Currently we have a separate Garmin unit and I use  POI Loader to add POIs without any problem.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

If the Kenwood uses standard Garmin software (which I guess it does) then I can't see any reason why POI Loader shouldn't work through the USB connection.

Perhaps someone who has one could give it a try.

Edited by briwy

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...