New 4x4 owner

Hi all from Surrey. Just picked up my first ever Skoda. An Octavia II facelift 4x4 2l and I'm loving it.

Although the experience of buying it was probably the most unpleasant retail experience I've had in some years thanks to an unpleasant sales person who was rude and lied to us (and at a Skoda approved dealership too which was disappointing), it was all worth it as it's a great drive and holds the road beautifully.

Thanks to all of you for the info I trawled through in making my decision to buy and I look forward to being able to contribute more than just questions as I learn more. (I might contribute general blathering before then though)

• Like 1

First intro to Skoda was also c/o our 4x4.

So impressed we have a Fabia on order.

Hopefully the service experience will be better than what you had with sales.

Welcome to the 4x4 Club!

Hi and welcome!

I'm jealous - still waiting for mine to have its winter tyres fitted. Mine 07 plate (i.e., pre-facelift), otherwise identical model.

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on if we get snowy or icy weather.

Just out of interest: why did you choose this particular version?

Welcome. Have a 53 4x4 Hatch . Lovely to drive and usefull in the snow.Only done 30k so may change the Haldex sooner than 40 as at the current rate that could be in 5 or 6 years time.!

Hi and welcome!

I'm jealous - still waiting for mine to have its winter tyres fitted. Mine 07 plate (i.e., pre-facelift), otherwise identical model.

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on if we get snowy or icy weather.

Just out of interest: why did you choose this particular version?

I'll keep you posted. :-)

I went for it basically because I love 4x4 vehicles. The thought of being prevented from getting from a-b due to adverse weather isn't great (though having four wheel drive doesn't help those blocking the road who don't have it)

I chose a 2nd gen Octy after deciding on an estate and choosing between a Mazda 6 and Ford Focus and an Octavia. The Octy won out for all the obvious reliability, drive and looks.

2nd gen because that's what I could afford

Not a Scout due to those I saw being a little out of my price range.

Enjoying it so far. :-)

• Like 1

Not a Scout due to those I saw being a little out of my price range.

Just as good a car, either with or without the tupperware fore and aft of the 17" alloys.

4_2_99676807OctaviaScout3.png

skoda-octavia-combi-1.6-tdi-4x4-01.jpg

'Stealth-mode' 4x4 is much more fun when you leave the SUV boys at the bottom of the snow covered hill wearing their summer rubber, wondering how the hell you made it to the top without so much as a wiggle. (Wearing your winter tyres of course).

Just as good a car, either with or without the tupperware fore and aft of the 17" alloys.

4_2_99676807OctaviaScout3.png

skoda-octavia-combi-1.6-tdi-4x4-01.jpg

'Stealth-mode' 4x4 is much more fun when you leave the SUV boys at the bottom of the snow covered hill wearing their summer rubber, wondering how the hell you made it to the top without so much as a wiggle. (Wearing your winter tyres of course).

Ha. That, I'm definitely looking forward to :-)

Yup, that's exactly why I chose a "stealth" 4x4. Teehee!

If you've got loadsa money, the new BMW 3 Series "Touring" (estate) is now available (at last, in the UK) with 4WD, as the xDrive version. Even more 'steath' than the 4WD Octavia estate since it doesn't even have a greater ride height - just a tiny badge on the back. That (with winter tyres) could really wind up everyone who dismisses all BMWs as rubbish in snow.

The 330d xDrive looks particularly good fun: 258 bhp, 0-62 in 5.4 sec, top speed limited at 155mph and 52mpg, all with fingertip-controlled 8 speed auto transmission, automatic/progressive 4WD (like Skoda) and five doors. What's not to like, except looking like a ****** because you're in a BMW? OK lousy value for money compared with the Octavia, but OK if you're a lottery winner or a banker.

A lot of SUVs are on "all terrain" or dedicated "4x4" tyres, from tyre manufacturers like B F Goodrich. These are robust, knobbly tyres for rough rocky roads or mud and probably excellent for this, but presumably are summer tyres and not particulalry designed for low temperatures or ice/snow which is why they struggle. I note that the B F Goodrich winter tyres are not at all knobbly and in fact look just like any other dedicated winter or snow tyre. I would be interested to know if anyone makes a tyre which is good on mud or wet grass AND on snow/ice. Have never been able to find a comparative tyre review which covers this.