Fabia Monte Carlo driving like Bambi on ice

CDN

Changed the 205/40 R17 wheels and tyres which were fitted to our a new Fabia Monte Carlo estate for a set of alloys fitted with 195/55 R15 Vredestein Snowtrac3 winter tyres which have done two winters on our prevous 09 Fabia hatchback. These tyres stuck like glue to the road no matter how slushy/icy/snowy or frozen the roads seemed to be when fitted to the Fabia hatchback, but have just had a horrendous drive with them on the Monte Carlo estate and the road was in now way an ice rink (-1c). Car was slipping all over the place and was even sideways at one point!!! Just had the alignment checked and it was only out by 1mm, surely this would not account for the extremely poor handling (would it?). The Vredesteins have plenty of tread on them and Kwik Fit are at a loss to explain why the car is handling so poorly.....Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you put them on running in the same direction/rotation as on the first Fabia :wonder:

Should feel the sipe 'pick up' when you brush your hand across the top of the tyre in a forward direction but not the rearwards direction.

Switched sets of Avon's and Bridgestone winters from one Fabia to another without issue including our Monte; currently running quite happily on a new set of Uniroyal 195/55 R15 winters.

TP

Thanks for the reply TP. The Vredesteins are directional tyres and I have checked that they are on the correct way round (I put stickers on the wheels when I take them off so that I know which corner they belong to when I change them over), also had Kwik Fit verify this when they checked the alignment this morning. Had Kwik Fit check the tyre pressure in case there was something amiss there, but they found nothing wrong...Surely there can't be that much of a difference between a hatchback and an estate?

Seems very odd for previously well behaved tyres to change so dramatically.  Are you sure the pressures are correct ( winters should be slightly different as I remember to the stock setting and I wouldn't always trust Kwik Fit).  Also, not sure where in the UK you are but given the recent awful weather there has been a lot of water coming off the hills and verges bringing with it the delights that normally remain there which will affect the grip.  If it was in a particular area (or along a bus route) could it have been down to a diesel spill?

The other option is that you may possibly have inadvertently caused it yourself without realising.  By having previous experience and confidence in the tyres did you push the car harder without realising?  Just a thought, maybe nothing in it.  

I usually set them at 31psi all round, but Kwik Fit set them at 31 front and 32 back this morning (after I had my squeaky bum moment). Totally concerned at the way the car handled in what really wasn't that bad conditions. Was riving home from Alyth to Montrose in (north east Scotland for folks that don't know where Alyth is) and no one else seemed to be dancing around.....Trouble is it was me who was driving with the Wife as a passenger and she is now a bit worried about driving the car the way it is handling.

LOL. The road had no salt on it.

It was minus 2*oC and the road was -4*oC this morning when i was out early.

(Air Temperature and Ground Temperature are seldom the same.)

I had Pirelli Snow Controls on and was driving to the conditions.  

Maybe best get used to the car and the tyres.

Does it show the Outside Temp OK.

Best check the Tyres yourself, and reset the TPMS if there is one.

I am in Forfar and was coming back from Glenshee, via Blair passed New Alyth, and by Kirriemuir..

5*oC here now and the road temp is below 4*oC.

It's a small world sk4gw.....I was coming from Nethercraig caravan park on a steep hill on the Glenisla road so was taking it slowly just in case it was a bit slippy. Was gearing down (trying to avoid brakes) on the approach to a bend in the road and lost all grip and had it side-ways for a bit. Car temp was showing -1 so I always gauge the road temp to a bit colder than that, and certainly wasn't going too fast for the conditions, Will re-check the tyre pressures as suggested...Thanks to all for the comments to date.

• Like 1

All the best,

it can be several degrees lower on the road than the air temp, that ice was pretty bad this morning.

Some dips and corner were proper black ice, not seen a gritter treating other than on the A90

Rainy here now and it looks like the temp will drop again.

I am back up that way again much later tonight.

Even the best winter tyre is going to lose it on black ice, short if studs not much you can do.

Best thing to do is get out on a piece of road you know, check if it is clear of ice and the like and see how the car handles.  Given the updated info it does sound likely you could have hit some black ice.

It may sound odd, but are you driving them as 'wide' tyres? Coming from a 205 to a 195 myself for winter, it takes me a while to get used to the feel of them. If you drive them knowing they aren't going to have the same sideways resistance as the wider tyre, then there shouldn't be a problem. Push them the same as the wide tyres and they will slide.

As mentioned, if they have been worn to the set up on your old car, this wont help either.

Edited by Gumby