RETIREMENT SKODA OCTAVIA

b435hh

Purchased a new skoda octavia 1.6 greenline in 2010 as my retirement car drive about 8000 miles a year and thought that this car would give me at least 6 to 7 years of trouble free motoring.

In november 2013 4 weeks to the day that the warranty ran out the air mass filter gave up quoted some £400 to replace hoever was given a discount of some 70% due to the age and low milage leaving aside the fact that skoda uk are liable under the 1979 supply of goods act to make good any defects in a consumer durable that cost a great deal of cash a relativly short time ago I decided that a contribution of some £70-£80 pounds on my part was not worth arguing about I said ok.

Hoever when I enquried about my next (four year) service I was told that it would INCLUDE A CAM BELT REPLACEMENT I thought I should make enquries, and found out that the cambelt that has been fitted to the golf/octavia greenline engine since 2009 is a contia diesel runner that has been tested for over 180000 km and was still running at the last time that it was looked at by VW so I ask why skoda uk are still insisting that this belt needs to be changed at a four year intervill.

Hving contacted skoda uk and have been told that it is only a recomendation hoever if I ignore this recomendation I run the risk of in their words A CATITROFHIC ENGINE FAILURE .

Have sent an e-mail to skoda in CK have requesting clarification over this matter have not yet reiceved a reply .

May I ask if anyone else has raised this matter with skoda as an additional £500 to a four year service seems to be to me a lot of extra payment that seems at first glance an unnecesry addition to an already expensive service