Fabia SDi has lost it's power

VA52

I've a Fabia MK1 SDi estate thats decided it no longer likes going up hills or accelerating at a reasonable pace. I know the engines aren't powerful but it has definitely reduced in power and its not been a gradual reduction, pretty much overnight.

I replaced timing belt (static and dynamic timing correct), replaced filters (air and fuel), checked fuel lines for air leaks, replaced throttle body and coolant temp sensor (both came up as fault on diagnostics but I suspect they pretty much always do judging by other threads). No hot discs or drums (freewheels without slowing drastically). Engine runs fine, idles smooth, starts first time. No smell of diesel, No black or white smoke.

Faulty solenoid came up on the diagnostics but not sure how that could be the cause as surely they're either open or closed and there's only a single feed wire to it so no potentiometer feedback to say it's only partially opening. 

Any feedback would be massively appreciated.

Update - Just incase anyone else is having a similar problem.

Well the cars taken a turn for the worst. After a few months of running on slightly less power its now lost loads of power, puffing white smoke and very knocky (under load) as through timing had slipped. Starts and idles fine though.

Re-checked crank to cam timing-OK (Incase belt had slipped). Took it back to friend with the diagnostics tool to check dynamic timing and it now appears to have slipped way out of range on the injector pump (I think target is 58degress and we're at 25). Tried to change the pump setting but even moving from fully advanced to fully retarded dynamic setting didn't change.

Guessing the pumps had it but does any one else have any ideas?

Going to stick on a used one to see if that makes any difference.

• 1 month later...

Really annoys me how so many people seem to use these forums to ask advice on fixing their problems but never update everyone else when they find a solution.

So here goes, the solution to my problem (despite a distinct lack of replies to my original post).

Right, replaced injector pump with 2nd hand unit. 4hrs later, no difference. Ended up taking it to mechanic friend. He kept it for a month but did find the problem. Worn through wire in harness down near starter motor. This broke blew a fuse and the signal to the injector pump that varies the dynamic timing and the pump defaulted to the 25 setting.

Apparently this is a common fault on sdi's