FSI vs TFSI MPG

Odd, isn't it, that in these days of austerity, the prospect of knocking a third off of someone's fuel bill isn't enough to tempt them into a diesel...

I've done those sums, and the Diesel wins on fuel, wins on tax, but ... Ok this is where my argument falls flat on face because Im comparing a 2005 FSI Skoda to a 2010 CR Passat. £3k for the former, £8k for the latter. But over four years of ownership, the Skoda wins out. Big problem, will I really achieve the 39mpg round town that is reported in the Passat without DPF issues? Ummm. Don't know. Too risky to sink £8k in.... 

Another swear word here.... Ford

Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCI 2006 or 2007 doesn't have a DPF, returns 40mpg around town and almost 50mpg at 80mph.  As big as an Octavia, better specification especially in Titanium X trim level.  If you want a VRS contender then get an ST (like I had, get it chipped - still did same mpg as stated but has 185hp and 320+ lb/ft torque).

That age with 50k miles should be in the £5-£6K range and is a very worthy alternative to an Octavia.

I had a 2.0 TDCI 130. Great car, went well for a big barge (convinced it was bigger than an Octavia) but very sensitive to driving style. I could get 42/44 average out of it and 500 miles to a tank, the wife could get 52/55 and squeeze 620 miles out of the same tank.

There is a huge difference in both performance and reliability between the 2.0 and 2.2 Ford units.

Performance wise 25HP & 60 lb/ft without a real detriment to economy (maybe 1-2mpg real world difference)

Reliability wise stay clear of high mileage 2.0 TDCI's.  Many many things waiting to implode on them apparently.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Stay away from the diesel mondeos full stop.Ive had 5 and was in the owners club ( yes there is one) and all the mk3 tdci gave me huge headaches .last 2 needed £1000's on injectors and called it a day after my 2.2tdci snapped its timing chain (becoming common)at 90k (full ford history) weeks after replacing the fuel pump and injectors.£1000's later I got it back and sold it for £3600!!

One of the best chassis I've come across in ST form and when running right they are very flexible diesels