Carbon Build Up - How Common Is This

Still trying to find the "perfect" car.

So, the Carbon Build up problem on the FSI, what I haven't quite got a grip on, is what the incidence of this is?

I mean frankly if I have to run the stupid thing on super unleaded and what not, and thrash it every weekend and it doesn't like short journeys, I may as well buy a CR TDI.

But is the carbon build up just a scare story?

In a 2005 vintage of 2.0 FSI in the Octavia (and yes, FSI, not TFSI, not TSI), how common is the carbon build up? Or should I look to put £500 quid away every couple of years for a head decoking?

Simon

You will have to run it on 98, my FSI threw a strop with the varible timings and MPG was low.

I have an 05, and the issues i have been are mainly seal related, coolant and bodywork, the engine itself has been fine.

Dammit. I thought Petrols were supposed to be simpler. And the price to super unleaded adds an extra £10 a month. Depends on MPG as well. If I only get 27mpg round town... ooh.... eeeh.... ahhh.....

The concensus seems to be that while this IS a problem, not everyone is affected. So 50/50. Maybe even better. I realise Im getting annoying, I just don't part with money too easily.

Thanks

SImon

I get a bit more mpg on Super unleaded so the difference isn't quite so bad. But that's on a TFSI.

I suspect (no evidence) that if you were to use branded 95 (Shell etc) you'd probably be fine. Not so confident in the supermarket stuff. If you're stuck with supermarket fuel (like me) I'd stick to 98+.

Edited by Aspman