Common problems with mk1 octavia vrs?

most common faults are oil pick up pipes water pump failure and badly tuned vehicles and as vrs 20v says above badly maintained im on my second now and ive had no major issues first one I sold with 124k running 258 and this one is 93k and stage 2 cant complain

Can't really say I've had any specific problems with mine since I got it- it's got 132k on the clock but the engine only has about 77k on it. I've changed the alternator and tensioner, swapped in a new stock backbox, had it remapped which has led to the SMF conversion tomorrow. Had dampness in passenger footwell but that totally clogged scuttles and not really an issue

Do your homework looking through this forum and don't try to save money too much on the initial buy. It's getting difficult to find good ones because somebody that has looked after and loved their vRS will not want to sell it because they realise that they are not going to get the money it is worth to them.

If you get a good one, they are as cheap to run as any petrol car. (Mine is better on fuel than my old 1.3 Mazda)

If the price looks to good to be true, 99% of the time it is.

Ideally buy one from an enthusiast, regular servicing is a must on these. 

look for decent or at least matched tyres etc, this type of thing just shows that they weren't a scab when it came to the upkeep of their car (same as when looking for any car but I think its extra important with these).

There's quite a few for sale on here with good history and recent servicing.

There is a very good sticky at the top of this section that I used when I was looking for mine. To be honest it took over 5 weeks to find the one I have now, the cold fact of life is there are some real dogs out there as well as some real nice ones - doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

This sort of car is either given a six or eight month abuse session by someone who cant really afford to run it properly, or it has fortunes spent on it like some of the cars on here and they are treated better than their wives/girlfriends.

As said do your homework on here, you wont go wrong.

They have their problems but what's great, because the model is older, almost everything can be put right relatively cheaply. There's plenty of how to guides on here to solve the common complaints, plenty of guides on common mods and even a great buyer's guide as well- it's one the best things about modding a slightly older car- thing's are tried and tested so need to reinvent the wheel and plenty of people about who've been there and done it before

• Like 1

I got unlucky, but a lot of the things that have gone on my car I could not have known about until to late.

But the way I see  it now is, yes it's cost me a lot of coin but I now have a brilliant car that hopefully will see me proud. The last owner obv must of been laughing at me but now I'm laughing at him because I've turned what could be described as a dog into a tidy motor.. an  the added fact he is a clueless cretin.

Now the needed bits are done, I can now move onto upgrades and power ect (money which I had for that reason but no longer do for now due to putting right someone else's wrongs!!!)