Cambelt replacement

TEK

At 34K miles after drop in coolant level, Skoda dealer found leak in water(coolant) pump, with coolant having contaminated timing belt. Pump and belt renewed under warranty. Having also had a cambelt fail  en route, on previous Octavia, I am seriously considering having cambelt renewed at next , and approaching service at 54K. Has anyone any ideas on the expected cost for this renewal/.fitting at good local garage (not dealer)?

Excuse me for interjecting but as I'm on my phone I'm not sure which model is being discussed.

On the subject of belts / chains I was under the impression the vRS has a chain?

If the belt and pump have been changed under warranty, then why change the belt again after only 20,000 miles? The pump failure was unusual and evidently a manufacturing fault. Now you have brand new stuff on that should be good for at least 60,000 miles/5 years more, i.e your car will have 94,000+ miles on the clock by then.

Its a 1.4mpi.....

If VAG OE water pumps are rubbish, then why did you buy a Skoda?

What aftermarket pump is better than the OE part?

Do you really think cambelts and water pumps should be changed every 20,000 miles? 

Edited by xman

xman,

i am not considering changing at 20,000 miles, the OP TEK is, & is is asking the approx cost.

He is asking due to his previous experience,

and my advice is change the water Pump as well, otherwise how out of sequence with services will he get.

Belts and pumps.

& unless i saw the Pump being fitted before fitting i trust it no more than those i have changed on PD 130's

george

Many thanks for your several inputs. I should have added that the previously mentioned cambelt failure in an Octavia occurred at 27K! hence my concern, I understand the logic of some of the replies and will now wait and see what transpires after the components  being "inspected"  at the approaching service. They say lightning doen't ever strike twice, but it did for me,,,,,,on the first occasion at over 70 mph on the  outside lane of the M6 with an almighty bang! [All credits to AA Relay who took we two and the car back 200 + miles to Ayrshire, and the car then on to the Skoda dealer].

Incidentally, the Motoring Correspondent of the (Glasgow) Herald on 27/08/2010 in a specific article referring to Skoda cars, warned about the potential damage of such a failure and, advised owners of the importance of getting their cambelt changed at regular intervals.