Buying a Yeti 4x4 - anything to look out for?

humsk

Hi Folks,

My 2005 Octy II 4x4 is getting a little long in the tooth - over 8 years old and with 127k miles on the clock, a few things need changing soon - brake discs, exhaust, battery, etc. so I'm thinking of swapping to a Yeti 4x4 Elegance.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for? I've heard of rust problems due to poor galvanising on 2010 cars but I'm looking for something less than 2 years old.

I fancy the 170PS TDI engine over the 140PS - is this a sensible choice especially considering I do tow now and then? The stated fuel consumptions between the two engines aren't too different but brochure figures aren't "real world".

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi there

I am new Yeti owner and I have just done a full tank calculation on my 170 WD Elegance. It is 2012 model with 12k miles on the clock.

Measured consumption is 47/48mpg.

The average consumption on the display is 55mpg.

I am pretty happy with that!

Hello Humsk.

On my 170. Overall,but on dual carriageway and motorway @ speed limits + 10 mph most of the time where able  Checked over 4014 miles and 19 fuel ups average 36.9 mpg best tank full 45.2 mpg. Bearing in mind aerodynamics of the Yeti not too bad!

170 over a 140 any day, but either is a nice car.

I just prefer more grunt. :)

Check the rear doors and front of the rear wheelarches.

They tend to get sprayed with stones etc.. from the front wheels, leading to potential future paint/rust problems.

170 over a 140 any day, but either is a nice car.

I just prefer more grunt. :)

Check the rear doors and front of the rear wheelarches.

They tend to get sprayed with stones etc.. from the front wheels, leading to potential future paint/rust problems.

This has been noted by a number of people! :rofl:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your comments - fuel consumption doesn't sound too bad.

I fitted front mud flaps to my Octy which gives some protection to the sills and the rear arch front edges have factory fitted clear plastic film which has helped prevent stone chip damage. If there's no protection on the arches of my new car, I'll cover them with helli tape and fit mud flaps.

A quick question - how easy is it to remove the rear seats?

Cheers,

Andrew

A quick question - how easy is it to remove the rear seats?

Pretty simple. But don't do it if you've already got a hernia! (They're heavyish, though not unmanageable, and the lift involved is a little awkward in reaching over. You probably wouldn't want to do it every day, but now and again to make extra space is no problem at all.)

Edited by prodata

2 minutes - but as prodata says, they're not light and are unwieldy.

I often whip one out so I can put a bike in vertically with just the front wheel out - more than one bike, its the Atera Strada rack :thumbup:

Pretty simple. But don't do it if you've already got a hernia!

That's good to know it's quick. Probably no worst than removing Ford Galaxy seats :)

I often whip one out so I can put a bike in vertically with just the front wheel out - more than one bike, its the Atera Strada rack :thumbup:

That's one thing I had in mind - I too usually use an Altera rack (well worth the money) but also looking at whipping the rear seats out to make room to sleep. I've used my Octy a few times at bike race weekends instead of pitching the tent - a little more weather proof especially when it's peeing down and with the false floor in place plus a couple of roll mats, it's quite cosy and comfortable. I know the Yeti is shorter than an Octy but reckon I’ll fit diagonally.

Cheers,

Andrew