Hi guys

Looks like I have a dead steering angle sensor but I want to run it by the skodaisti on here before I start buying stuff that I may not need.

Symptoms :- Flickering lights both headlights and internal instrument lights, misfiring, power steering good then nothing. Also when car is stationary but with the engine running as the lights flicker I can hear a cheeping noise which I assume would be the PAS pump going on and off repeatedly...but strangely imo no PAS light showing on insturment panel.

My questions are could the PAS pump act like this if it was just the battery failing? and if not how difficult is it to fit the angle sensor on a 2001 8v furbie.

Thanks 

Colzie64

No, a failing battery would mean the ECU would take the decision to shut down the PAS and it would flag it with the PAS light and CEL, also the PAS would not come back on until the engine was restarted.

Intermittent PAS such as you describe means a failing angle sensor or less likely a failing PAS control module, you don't get a PAS light because the PAS is intermittent under normal driving conditions, it only works when you move the steering wheel and the control module isn't smart enough to tell the difference between normal and a failing sensor.

I will almost guarantee that it's the angle sensor, however there is a possibility that the wiring from the sensor to the PAS module is defective or that the module itself is freaking out.

Good enough?

• Like 1

Thanks sepulchrave..One last question after looking through the threads on here I found a pdf document linked on here that details how the VAG electric power steering works and on there I see that cars fitted with EPC like mine have angle sensor g85 at the back of the steering wheel and all the others have g250 thats mounted at foot of steering column.

Is that also the case with the fabia?

Thx Colzie64

Negatory, yours is at the foot of the steering column like all the other petrol Fabs, that's the sensor that goes wrong, it usually gets wet due to its location and the fact that it was poorly sealed, wet means fail with hall effect triggers. A new sensor should be the modified metal encapsulated part, this is why Skoda will give you a rebate on your old one.

Edit: I know it's a £100 colzie and a pig to get at but you NEED a new one, there really isn't anything different I can tell you no matter how many times you ask.

Someone give this guy a different answer please because he REALLY doesn't like this one.

Edited by sepulchrave
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this topic... I removed battery and airbox to get access to power steering fluid reservoir and it was low on atf. I checked the rack and pipe work for signs of leakage of fluid but found none so l am putting low levels down to neglect as most people won't pull a car apart to check a fluid level l reckon.

I then filled the reservoir to the recommended level and put the car back together after making sure earth points were clean and secure and now a week later my fabia seems to be behaving itself, no more flickering in the lights and power steering seems to be working fine with no loss of steering as before.

Also checked for codes and none are present for PAS but there are two for other faults 16500 temp sensor which has been replaced and 16712 knock sensor which could be the cause of lumpy idling.

Thanks sepulchrave for your input and if l have to pay £100 for a steering angle sensor l will post my tale of woe on here lol.

Colzie64