Facelift Grill...potential problem?

VRS Doug VX

Hi,

I've been thinking of getting a 4x4 Yeti (1.8TSI) to replace the wifes Fabia VRS as her regular journey now includes quite a bit of mud covered back lane driving. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of 'chicken wire' behind the new grill...basicaly you can see the radiator through the big gaps between the grills vertical strakes.

Even the salesman admitted that it would probably make the radiator vunerable to being holed by stones. It's certainly a car that I'd be nervous of passing a gritting lorry in!

Has anyone had similar fears, found a mod, experienced problems?

Cheers

The previous model was the same and on this forum there are various modifications owners have made to combat this issue. But in all honesty I have not seen or heard of anyone having the radiator holed by a rogue flying stone. Suppose it may have happened to someone, somewhere if it worries you then make a template and use some mesh. 33q (Nigel) has put info on the forum of one he made up and it looks good

• Like 1

I drive on some attrocious roads and have no grille protection on either grille and in 3 years and over 70k miles I've had no problems.
And to be honest you could only get a problem if you were following behind something fairly close, so if you are that worried tell her keep her distance a bit more.