Stuck clutch! (Won't go into gear)

NGee

Thought I'd post this as a warning/advisory...

Went to start the Yeti this morning; couldn't engage any gear with the engine running. Clutch felt normal, but just wouldn't engage. Tried it with the engine off, no probably selecting any gear.

Googling suggested a slave cylinder problem, which would be rather premature, and would have resulted in a "goodwill" conversation with Skoda (!!!!).

I arranged for the local Skoda garage to receive the car, and called the RAC out for the recovery. When he arrives, the RAC man has a quick check of the symptoms, and diagnoses a stuck clutch. It's a bit wet around here; probably something a few owners have noticed.

The combination of water, debris, heat and clutch operation creates a paste effect between the two plates. If it doesn't dry out before the engine is stopped it can sometimes form a glue. This is what had happened - I'd had to wade the car up our road to higher ground where I parked, so the clutch would have been wet and then left overnight.

The fix isn't particular pretty, or mechanically sympathetic.

Engine off - engage 1st gear - handbrake off - turn engine over.

But it worked, the clutch free up straight away and then just needed a drive to get it dry.

Given that getting the clutch out apparently means removing the transmission and is therefore very expensive, this might be worth bearing in mind if anyone else has similar problems.

Be lucky.

Nick

Edited by NGee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the same symptom as after washing the car and leaving to dry the brake discs and pads stick to each other.  You hear them thump as they break free just as the car moves and they get polished up again with use.  :)

It's the same symptom as after washing the car and leaving to dry the brake discs and pads stick to each other.  You hear them thump as they break free just as the car moves and they get polished up again with use.  :)

Exactly.  Except that if you're daft enough (as I once was, not long having had a car at that point) to leave the car with its handbrake on, after driving in heavy rain, for a couple of weeks whilst you go away, you may find the brakes locked solid.

Needed a tow to the garage (AA couldn't sort it) and manual freeing of the brakes.  Expensive, for a problem that could have been so simply avoided.

Exactly.  Except that if you're daft enough (as I once was, not long having had a car at that point) to leave the car with its handbrake on, after driving in heavy rain, for a couple of weeks whilst you go away, you may find the brakes locked solid.

Needed a tow to the garage (AA couldn't sort it) and manual freeing of the brakes.  Expensive, for a problem that could have been so simply avoided.

Ditto with the brakes after pressure washing. Leave in the garage now in "P" with handbrake off after washing. My drama was on my wife's car with drum rear brakes as well - locked solid.

Interesting.  I've noticed the brakes binding after washing as mentioned, but never heard of the same happening to the clutch.  Same principal, clearly.  Apparently it's happening quite a lot a moment  :rain:

• 5 years later...
On 08/02/2014 at 11:29, NGee said:

Thought I'd post this as a warning/advisory...

Went to start the Yeti this morning; couldn't engage any gear with the engine running. Clutch felt normal, but just wouldn't engage. Tried it with the engine off, no probably selecting any gear.

Googling suggested a slave cylinder problem, which would be rather premature, and would have resulted in a "goodwill" conversation with Skoda (!!!!).

I arranged for the local Skoda garage to receive the car, and called the RAC out for the recovery. When he arrives, the RAC man has a quick check of the symptoms, and diagnoses a stuck clutch. It's a bit wet around here; probably something a few owners have noticed.

The combination of water, debris, heat and clutch operation creates a paste effect between the two plates. If it doesn't dry out before the engine is stopped it can sometimes form a glue. This is what had happened - I'd had to wade the car up our road to higher ground where I parked, so the clutch would have been wet and then left overnight.

The fix isn't particular pretty, or mechanically sympathetic.

Engine off - engage 1st gear - handbrake off - turn engine over.

But it worked, the clutch free up straight away and then just needed a drive to get it dry.

Given that getting the clutch out apparently means removing the transmission and is therefore very expensive, this might be worth bearing in mind if anyone else has similar problems.

Be lucky.

Nick

It worked. Went from Zero to Hero in 5 mins. thanks so much. 

• Like 1