2010 Octavia Laurin and Klement Sat Nav Upgrade?

Hi all,

just joined the forum and have been reading various posts and just confusing myself even more............

I will be picking up a 2010 Octavia Laurin and Klement on Friday this week and would like to know how complex it is to change the headunit.

I don't know what model the current unit is but I have been told its the model 'below' the sat nav version.

It has blue-tooth with a colour screen, the car has a MFSW so I assume I can fit the 'Columbus' nav unit and all will work?

If I can fit a nav unit, I'm confused by versions as I see the RNS510 comes in H, K, L on ebay............... whats what? :sweat:

Is this the Hardware version?

If I buy an older version can the software/firmware be flashed easily and also the maps be upgraded easily?

Plus I am assuming I will need a facia plate and also a GPS connection kit?

Appologies if I am asking for answers already answered as I couldnt find the answer.........

Many thanks in advance

Rick :whew:

There's a sort of history index here...

http://www.my-gti.com/3211/volkswagen-rns-510-information-and-specifications

...but I'd say get the latest you can, then review the available firmware (effectively the operating system) and the software (maps) using this forum and the Octavia II one at... 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/28-skoda-octavia-ii-2004-2013/

Throughout it's lifetime various physical enhancements have been made such as larger hard drive, touch screen, DAB radio, etc. and these are obviously not changeable once you've bought your unit. (Actually some people have upgraded the hard drive to a larger one - even Solid State Drives.)

Updates are made by inserting the appropriate DVD in the slot and waiting for up to an hour. However, older units can only be updated so far and not to the latest levels. Very new units can be upgraded by using an SDHC memory chip in the built-in reader but I doubt that you'd get one of those units in the after-market at this time.

Good Luck.   

• Like 1

There's a sort of history index here...

http://www.my-gti.com/3211/volkswagen-rns-510-information-and-specifications

...but I'd say get the latest you can, then review the available firmware (effectively the operating system) and the software (maps) using this forum and the Octavia II one at... 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/28-skoda-octavia-ii-2004-2013/

Throughout it's lifetime various physical enhancements have been made such as larger hard drive, touch screen, DAB radio, etc. and these are obviously not changeable once you've bought your unit. (Actually some people have upgraded the hard drive to a larger one - even Solid State Drives.)

Updates are made by inserting the appropriate DVD in the slot and waiting for up to an hour. However, older units can only be updated so far and not to the latest levels. Very new units can be upgraded by using an SDHC memory chip in the built-in reader but I doubt that you'd get one of those units in the after-market at this time.

Good Luck.   

Thanks Chris I have some more reading to do obviously thanks for the links.........

Really looking forward to collecting the car now and playing with all the toys it has to offer

Cheers Rick