Radiator cold

colzie64

Hi Guys

I have got my fabia 8v MPI going again after temp gauge and thermostat renewal but I have noticed that once the car has been started and got up to temp the top hose going into the rad heats but the hose on rad bottom is stone cold.

Noticed symptoms

1. hot top rad hose cold bottom rad hose

2. Rad fans not licking in

This tells me the thermostat is opening as top hose is heating so I did a search of the forums and here is a list of things checked .

1. No overheating after 10 mile run at 60mph

2. no blow off of coolant level remaining steady

3. temp gauge reading 90c as it should

4.no mayo on oil cap 

5. coolant returning to header tank via top hose at operating temp

6. heaters in cabin working

7.opening rad bleeder and coolant comes out

My question therefore is this...What is likely to be causing these symptoms?

1.Could it be a blockage? ( keeping mind that coolant does exit via rad drainage tap)

2. Naff waterpump? ( I dont know if plastic impeller issues affect the 1.4 8v mpi lump)

3. Could the cold weather affect the thermostat opening so restricting coolant flow? outside temp between 2 and 6 degrees celsius.

All advice is appreciated

Colzie64

It sounds like your car is working fine, I would expect a substantial temperature difference between the hot coolant entering the radiator and the cooled coolant exiting it, you say it's cold but is it really stone cold or just a lot cooler by contrast.

The only way be certain is to remove the water pump and check it's not damaged.

• Like 1

Warm from top of engine to top of radiator but radiator itself feels cool and no fans operate even with gauge showing 90c ...could be this cold weather right enough thanks for the reply sepulchrave.