Lacquer on dark chrome alloys

Frenchi93

Hi guys,

I have the dark chrome alloy wheels on my fabia II Vrs and all 4 of my alloys have the dreaded lifted lacquer, I still have warranty until may on this car so I would really like them sorting before that ends. The only problem I have got is the skoda dealership where I got my car from is lightcliffe skoda in Warrington.. I am in the Wakefield area so it would be quite a long way for me to travel.. The dealer were very good when selling me the car as they had a salesperson drive it to a lightcliffe Nissan garage in Halifax for me.. So my question is, do I have to go to the dealer where I purchased my car from or does the warranty cover me at any dealership?

Thanks Ryan

Forget the 6 weeks.

Thats were actions are allowed to hold things up.

Contact the Dealership, let them know you want the wheels looked at, they can take the photographs and Email them.

No reason for them not to be looked at and the OK given within 24 hours,

& the Dealership can get the Wheels ordered in and arrange swapping your tyres onto the car.

So until the tyres get changed and new wheels are fitted might take 6 weeks start to finish,

but expect the OK in 6 days.

Any problem ask them when a Warranty Manager is in at the Dealer Visiting so that he/she can see your wheels,

Skoda UK know what goes wrong and that they need replacing

I wouldn't bother, Lightcliffe Warrington were useless helping me. Took photos and told me that they "sent them off" didn't hear anything back and then when questioned were it was up to, they denied all knowledge of my claim. I've contacted Skoda UK directly and they are dealing with it for me. Sent them pictures and details of the issues I have been having getting my warranty claim dealt with by useless dealers (Both Lightcliffe and Lookers Stockport) SUK are now dealing with it. All 4 wheels are in similar condition to the examples George posted.

I also had the white spider appear on all 4 wheels on our previous vRS hatch. As others have said -you can take it to any skoda main dealer you like mate!

I had also bought the car from a dealer a long way away so just took it in to my local dealer and pointed out the issue to them. They ordered 4 new wheels on the spot and I returned the following week to have them fitted all under warranty and free of charge. None of this fannying around with photos/emails/contacting SUk etc...... :-) Thats how it should be sorted really but it seems some dealers just mess you about needlessly.

• Like 1

Lacquer finish on any skoda wheels to say the least, are cr*p, no matter what the range of model of car they are fitted to.

The wheel centre badges don't last very long either, before tarnishing and start lifting away from base. 

They are cr4p as Skoda/VAG specify them, and source them.

Thats what you get with Budget and not so Budget  Car Manufacturers.

Or mostly just German Owned ones.

Gigaro Dark Chrome are actually a Manufacturing disaster in many cases, 

so no doubt a Warranty Replacement issue, Manufacturing or Material fault.  

Porous Lacquer allowing oxygen and H2o behind., and not as some will try to say at dealers, external damage or environmental damage,

wrong type of wheel cleaning.

So no need to take rubbish from Dealers or Skoda UK, they need to get on and replace faulty Treated Wheels,

and sometimes these need replaced again before the Warranty Expires.

The ones they supply now as replacements are no better manufactured than the ones they started fitting 3 1/2 years ago.

&

the back of the new wheels being fitted need some Copper Slip  (Grease) where the wheels mate with the hubs.

They might and do.

& rightly so if that is what the cause has been. You can not expect them to cover driver error.

So you show where the curbed edge is no where near the white spider on the wheel spoke, and you show them the same corrosion under the lacquer on another wheel that has not been curbed.

Say one front passenger side wheel is curbed & has no Damage 6" up the Spoke and that is where the lacquer has corrosion on the alloy.

& show a pristine rear wheel other than for White Spider and corrosion under the lacquer.

Job Done,

and unless the damage is driver error on a rim edge and causing the cosmetic corrosion,

the Faulty Manufacturing of the wheels is really what matters.

Right thanks for all your help guys, I will be going to DM Keith skoda in Wakefield, some people have said they have had problems with them so I shall see when I go and tell then about this issue. Thanks again guys.

Ryan