Engine replacement

garytc78

Alright guys I've got a polo gti and I've just had the engine replaced now I'm looking to find out if I have the CTHE or another CAVE but my dealer couldn't find an engine code and no matter how much I look I cannot find anything that has any of those letters on the engine.

The Dealer Needs to get a New VIN Sticker for the car,  (Unless the Engine Number on the Engine is now the same as the Original.)

and notify if it is a Reconditioned Engine with a Different Engine Number or the Block has the Engine Number Removed and the Original Number Stamped from the car.

The Service Book should be Stamped and Written up with the Date of an Engine Change and the Mileage on the Car and the New Service Intervals for the Car.

Get the Dealer or Customer Services to Print our from the Warranty and Service Record the Details of the Engine as they came from 

The Invoice.Reciept and Cars Work Sheet from the Bill.

They have the Numbers that arrived with the Engine, it is all Barcoded as an Engines is rebuilt.

Unless they have just rebuilt your engine in house.

That is possibly needed for future Owners, and for the DVLA if the Engine Numbers are now different.

Here are where the Original Stickers are, and the Factory Recondition Unit, or New Engine gets Stickers.

You can not see the Stamped Engine Numbers when the Engine is in the Car,

But then a Skoda Technician knows that, or should.

When a new car/engine,

the Orange Sticker Number matches the Number on the ECU usually.

The Engine Casting numbers and Designation Code is not the Engine Numbers. just the Bock.

There was (is) no sticker on the replacement (new, crate, complete) engine in mine so can only assume it's a CAVE as per the original.  July 2012 registered (so a few months before the CTHE change) and March 2013 when the replacement was fitted.

New Engine in the Crate had the Paperwork and that has the Engine Number for that Engine from the Factory,

& the dealership that fitted the New Engine needs to do the Notification to the DVLA.

(OR IF THEY ARE NICE AND HELFULL THEY CAN GIVE YOU THE RECEIPT AND DETAILS AND EASY FOR THE OWNER TO DO IT,

BUT THEN IT IS THEIR JOB AND SKODA/VW/SEAT/AUDI PAY THEM TO DO THE WHOLE REPLACEMENT JOB INCLUDING THE BIT WITH THE DVLA.)

Easy Stuff, when they bother to do what they are required to.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

They (DEALERSHIP DOING THE ENGINE TRANSPLANT) can not say,

like for like engine, same CC, it is if the Engine Numbers replicated the Scrapped Engine,

and they reproduced them on the new one.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

Look on your V5 at the Original engine number.  Page 4,  p5, engine number.   

it will be like 'CAV 212255'   or CTH 212255,  

and  E on the V5 is VIN/chassis.frame no.   Like the TMBFP65 JXB ......etc

Ask VW UK Customer Services what you got fitted,

if your car was a CAVE engine then likely thats what you got.

If it was a CTHE then it should have got nothing else.

It is your car and your investment and you should have all the relevant information with the cars Documents.

That is the Full Dealer Service History.

& now should be Full Dealer & Manufacturers Warranty History.

Defo a cave engine originally but was replaced with a brand new engine made in august 2013. As far as I'm aware if it was as I suspect a brand new engine made in august then it could be nothing else but a cthe engine surly.

Well it will have a CTHE ECU fitted. It is a different looking ECU externally.

A new engine might well just be a Rebuilt/Reconditioned engine. 

They look new in the crate, they are professionally rebuilt.

It makes no difference if it has the new innards,

it should be good, but then there are CTHE engines failing, so what does it matter.

??

Does your car go better now than it did before the engine change, feel more powerful or sound or perform better.

Maybe try driving a CTHE Polo and see if yours feels the same.

Best get VW UK to tell you the exact spec of your Engine,

ask is it a CAVE or a CTHE.

You always hope the new engine with new spark plugs feels smooth.

After all it does not have a burnt out or oiled up plug, burnt valve or a misfire on 2 cylinders, worn rings or cylinders etc

which was the reason the engine was being changed.

Let us know what VW UK says please.

It was changed due to oil consumption and a misfire on idle but still not sure if its a cave or cthe.

I would have thought with it having 31/13 stamped on the engine that it can only be a cthe as they stopped making the cave over a year and a half ago didn't they?