Buying a used car from a dealership

AK67

When buying a used car from a dealer, I wonder if anyone can tell me what you're entitled to know regarding repaired accident damage? A data check can reveal if it has been written off, but how about finding out about less devastating damage?

Thanks,

AK67.

You are entitled to ask if they are aware of any accident damage, and they would need to reply honestly. If you buy the car and later become aware that it has a history you weren't told about, you would in theory be entitled to compensation if you can show the dealer lied.

Depending on the age of the car though, it's entirely possible that the dealer won't be aware of any damage and repairs.

They woouldn't tell you even if they knew, unless it was obvious.

Main stealer last week had a brand new unregistered Pug 208 ...(is it...the exceedingly ugly one with the ridiculous go kart size steering wheel)..... having a new windscreen and liberal dollops of 'porridge' applied to the roof following top deck transporter damage.

wonder if the eventual new owner will be informed? <cough, cough> :think:

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 1

Interesting responses so far, appreciated. I recently bought a car less than a year old and noticed signs the very same day that repairs had been carried out (legacy of bumper masking and spray overlap underneath). Surprised that the dealer's vigorous, multi-point inspection didn't reveal this........

Interesting responses so far, appreciated. I recently bought a car less than a year old and noticed signs the very same day that repairs had been carried out (legacy of bumper masking and spray overlap underneath). Surprised that the dealer's vigorous, multi-point inspection didn't reveal this........

Did you actually ask about any damage beforehand? They aren't obliged to volunteer the information.

I thought I'd covered everything but sadly not! I guess I felt reassured buying a v low mileage, nearly new car from a dealership...false sense of security!

I've seen cars with under 1000 miles on the clock go through salvage auctions, sometimes showing as unrecorded.

If someone buys these and tarts them up they could end up being part exchanged to dealers who know nothing about any history...

Always be aware and inspect closely.

I've bought some myself, but always sold them on to private individuals with the history declared.

(and proof of light damage shown in pictures)

I've seen cars with under 1000 miles on the clock go through salvage auctions, sometimes showing as unrecorded.

If someone buys these and tarts them up they could end up being part exchanged to dealers who know nothing about any history...

Always be aware and inspect closely.

I've bought some myself, but always sold them on to private individuals with the history declared.

(and proof of light damage shown in pictures)

Well you're a 'rare bird'. Bravo!

How many times have you seen Cat C's and  D's advertised with no pictures... (and therefore proof)... of what the damage was.

Slightly off topic, but important point anyway.

I'd never buy a Cat C/D without such photo evidence.

Most if not all cars are damaged at some point in their life tbh. To be expected unfortunately.

I thought I'd covered everything but sadly not! I guess I felt reassured buying a v low mileage, nearly new car from a dealership...false sense of security!

It's still worth going back and complaining, and as you say, ask why their checks didn't spot the damage. As an honest dealer you would expect them to have told you etc....

Well you're a 'rare bird'. Bravo!

How many times have you seen Cat C's and D's advertised with no pictures... (and therefore proof)... of what the damage was.

Slightly off topic, but important point anyway.

I'd never buy a Cat C/D without such photo evidence.

Most if not all cars are damaged at some point in their life tbh. To be expected unfortunately.

It's worth giving a little history of my car. It went from the manufacturer straight to a hire car company, then back to the manufacturer after doing the usual 10,000-12,000 miles. Then the dealer sourced it for me from the manufacturer.

It's still worth going back and complaining, and as you say, ask why their checks didn't spot the damage. As an honest dealer you would expect them to have told you etc....

Thanks, ball rolling...

They woouldn't tell you even if they knew, unless it was obvious.

wonder if the eventual new owner will be informed? <cough, cough> :think:

Not if my experience with a Ford dealer is anything to go by, and not just accident damage either......The DMF must have been on it's way out when i bought it, according to my mechanic when it wheezed into his yard.  No wonder the dealer never returned any of my calls and just fobbed me off saying they'd "call with a figure tomorrow" when I gently enquired about selling it back to them.

With all the flooding down south it makes you onder how many flood damaged and subsequently written off cars will find themselves back on sale.

I pity anyone that unsuspectingly buys such a car.

• Like 1

With all the flooding down south it makes you onder how many flood damaged and subsequently written off cars will find themselves back on sale.

I pity anyone that unsuspectingly buys such a car.

VG point! *worried expression*