Front subframe

Hi guys

Used the search function on here to no avail so am starting this thread to see if anyone can help.

My question is how difficult is it to either drop or lower the front subframe on a 1.4mpi 8v fabia so that l can get access to the top of the bolt that holds in the dog bone mount.

I take it the ball joints, track rod ends and ARB as well as all mounting bolts will require removal... Is there anything l am missing?

All advice appreciated :-)

with the car jacked up, and the engine supported, is it not possible to reach your hand passed the Offside drive shaft with a ratchet and socket, and get hold of the nut? then with your other hand remove the bolt?

As everyone else has said, the Nut is captive, and is supposed to be welded on to the subframe.

Personally I would look at getting a replacement subframe (2nd hand from ebay or alike) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys but this bolt is spinning both ends. If it's meant to be captive it isn, t.

I also think its excessive to junk a perfectly good subframe because of one knackered bolt hence why l was asking about how to lower subframe in order to get molegrips onto spinning nut/receptacle.

Colzie64

with the car jacked up, and the engine supported, is it not possible to reach your hand passed the Offside drive shaft with a ratchet and socket, and get hold of the nut? then with your other hand remove the bolt?

As everyone else has said, the Nut is captive, and is supposed to be welded on to the subframe.

Personally I would look at getting a replacement subframe (2nd hand from ebay or alike)

No either the steering rack or ARB pass directly over the offending fastener so restricting access.

Colzie64

It is tight but possible to get a cranked spanner on to the nut, cant remember what size now but I'll have a look on my spare x member for you.

• Like 1

Found this post in the archives by chris_55

Posted 28 October 2006 - 14:48

I did this job today using the instructions I found on this forum, I found a few problems. This may be due to differences in the clearance available on different models. Mine is a 2001 1.4 MPI auto.

"Put car on ramps. With jacks and blocks under sides lift weight off front wheels, remove wheels.

I had the advantage of being able to use a garage lift, I would think the job would be much more difficult on stands.

Remove bottom of arb links. Needs a rare 16mm spanner as socket no use and 17mm on flats of ball joint.

The links did not have a 17mm flat on them but did have a star socket in the end.

Remove 4 bolts holding steering rack to cast aluminium subframe

Remove 4 large and 4 small bolts holding subframe to body.

Subframe will drop about 3 inches.

Undo 4 bolts holding rubber bushes of arb

Rotate arb 180 degrees and slide it out under the rack one side. Pull this end back and slide other side out.

This is where I had the problem, the bar is too narrow to allow 180 degree rotation, it fouled on the inner wheel arch both sides.

I found that I had to disconnect the track rods from the steering arms both sides, this allowed the ARB to be manipulated out between the steering rack and the subframe.

Reverse to install new arb. "

Hope this info may be of help to people.

Think this worthy of repost for anyone else struggling with getting info on this job.

Colzie64