Why no more 1.8TSi?

Reading a late 2013 WhatCar today in a waiting room I came across some info on the Yeti and was surprised to see they still listed a 1.8TSi version.

I looked up Skoda brochures tonight and found that one (only one) of the 4WD versions is indeed listed as a 160 bhp 1.8TSi.

I wonder why they are happy to put it in a Yeti but no longer offer it in an Octavia (or even a Rapid.) 

Strange they should ditch what must be one of their best engine options? Performance and economy without fuss and bother and without high insurance rates.

Skoda is only a part of the bigger VAG picture.

Fitting the 1.8 TSi to an Octavia is likely to have implications in terms of brand overlap for SEAT, VW or Audi.

Skoda is only a part of the bigger VAG picture.

Fitting the 1.8 TSi to an Octavia is likely to have implications in terms of brand overlap for SEAT, VW or Audi.

Is the 1.8TSi used in any of those then?

I had a quick check online, most people seem to think the 1.4 TSI offers as good an all round package than the 1.8 hence the reason VW don't offer the 1.8 in the UK I assume...

My Octavia 1.8tsi went into the great part xchange market in the sky last Saturday.

I am now driving a BMW 335D m sport xdrive. As you might gather this is a terrific car, great seats, sensational performance from its 313 BHP engine. but you know what! the outgoing 1.8 tsi does not pale beside it, particularly in the driving stakes with its DSG gearbox.

So all I can say is that the 1.8 TSI is a great car with a stellar engine. I do hope it finds a good home with someone who appreciates it!

Ditto...

I have my  humble silver Octavia 1.8 TSI remapped by Blue Fin  to 210 BHP

Its incredible overtaking car... and on the motorway in 6th...

She just sails up to a driving ban!

Easily  get 40mpg 

Best Octavia by light years IMHO

If you can find a used one then well worth it

• Like 1

Moving from the Mk1 1.8T to Mk2 2.0FSI we missed the 1.8.  About a month after ours was built, Skoda dropped the 2.0FSI for the 1.8TSI :(

That's exactly what I did except I didn't miss out on the TSi. I enjoyed the Mk.1 1.8T vRS then got a Mk 2  2.0FSi - better car than Mk.1 in many ways (steering etc.) but engine nowhere near as good as the pre FL 1.8 TSi I have now.  (In fact if I were you I'd trade in for a nearly new 1.8 TSi.)

If I had to change tomorrow I don't know what I'd get (new). I don't like the look of the Yeti, wouldn't want 4WD anyway, don't want a diesel, don't need a vRS. It would  probably mean goodbye Skoda, sadly.

Edited by ednmra

Supposedly Skoda are launching an L&K version of the Octavia, along with a Scout, at the Geneva motor show this month and one of the engine options will be the 1.8 TSI, along with the 180 hp TDI out of the vRS and 4wd eventually. http://www.skoda.co.uk/news/Pages/‘The-Emotions-of-ŠKODA’-at-the-Geneva-Motor-Show.aspx

Ian

Skoda UK I guess decided the new 1.4 TSI 140 was good enough to fill the 1.8 160's void.

Given the new Octy is quite a bit lighter than the last and has the same torque output on paper at least theres little in it performance wise despite the drop in horses. It's also alot cleaner and efficient than the 1.8.

Its a bit of a shame as gather the new 1.8 180 is a corker but performance wise it brings regular models too close to vRS performance for SUK's tastes i suspect.

• Like 2