Skoda YETI 1.2 TSI and famous chain rattle

kovo

YETI TIMING CHAIN

My yeti has done less than 35000 miles and up to now has had two chains and a new dsg gearbox clutch pack.

BEAWARE --- Before buying a 1.2 tsi Yeti you know what your letting your self in for.

There is at present a bill of £1606 to be paid for which is being disputed by me.

Skoda extended warranty think about doing it look else where first

Hope this has been of help to some one

Are you saying you have Skoda extended warranty and they are still rejecting the claim.

• 2 weeks later...

NO I AM NOT SAYING THAT

What I am saying is take your for a examination get it in writing email and phone the warranty company before commencing work even if youve had work carried out on some parts and the parts have not done a lot of mileage or time has passed. Even if your Skoda mechanic tells you that there is an upgrade pack for your faults.

Skoda got involved and covered 1/2 my local Skoda dealer covered the other 1/2

Sadly its now booked back in for oil leaking from the bottom of the engine which was where I took my car less than 2 weeks ago after the timing chain/clutch work

• 2 years later...

When I started having 1.2 tsi timing chain issues, some of the threads on this site were very useful but I couldn't find anything very up to date - ie in 2017  - so here's an update based on my experience this last month or so.

On first noticing that my wife's 2010 Yeti 1.2 with 48k miles on the clock was sounding like a diesel on start, I suspected the timing chain. It was very erratic and stayed erratic but when it happened it was very noisy for about 5-10s and then settled down.

The first time I took it to my Skoda Dealer, they "investigated" and just topped up the oil - which of course did nothing. At the next service about a a month ago I insisted they kept it for a couple of days during which they witnessed the rattle themselves and agreed it was a timing chain issue. They quoted £675 for the repair.

I had quite a battle with the service manager to admit that this was a well-known issue and that Skoda should contribute to the cost of the repair. He was actually quite negative stating that I had no chance of getting anything out of Skoda with a 7 year old car. Even with the evidence of the TPI, he wasn't having any of it.

I then rang Skoda customer services and raised a complaint. I have to say that they were excellent. They liaised with the dealer to check the diagnosis and they rang every few days to update me with a progress report. All I had to do was supply them with a copy of the service history. That was my trump card I think - a full Skoda dealer service history.

Behind the scenes I suspect that Skoda talked to the dealer and explained the procedure as, the next time I went into them, they had prepared a goodwill claim and claimed a Skoda contribution towards the cost - which Skoda accepted. It was a very different attitude from the service manager this time.

Skoda paid 100% for the parts and 60% for the labour. My 40% contribution came to £178 which I think is a good deal. I asked to see the parts list and it included the chain, tensioner, guides and sprockets.

So the procedure seems to be that the dealer should diagnose the problem, raise either a warranty or a good will claim with Skoda who will then consider the merits of the case. Getting the dealer to raise the claim seems to be the hardest part - perseverance is required.

I know that some will say that Skoda should cover the whole of the cost and I have sympathy with that view but I think I got a good result given the age of the car.

I hope this post may help others trying to deal with a timing chain issue. I'll add it to the few threads I discovered in my research.