Top Mounts - this is bad, right?

So I went out thus morning to investigate a knocking from the front suspension and some overly compliant bump steer effects, and found this.

Both sides the same, and looked pretty knackered in my opinion. Just looking for confirmation that they kaput before I go about replacing them.

Cheers

TR

post-82408-0-58907900-1394287588_thumb.jpg

I've never seen that before! I would say your top mounts have a fair bit of wear in them but even worn ones I can't see how the top mount would come through the turret like that. Are they standard Octavia mounts?

As far as I'm aware, standard oem mounts out of the factory. 92k miles. No major knocks I know of. Can anyone post a photo of "normal" ones so I know what I'm aiming for with replacement?

Cheers

TR

Yes, however I believe mine are very worn and the gap should be smaller. 92k originals! I have ordered new suspension.

Need more pics to compare. :)

Found these from a mk iv golf...

before

Guide2001.jpg

after

Guide8001.jpg

Hmmm... there is a definite knocking with bumps. and compliance steer is becoming very noticeable.

Also, with the car jacked up and the unsprung mass free from the ground, if I lift the wheel with my hands, the top mount deflects a good 5mm with no deflection in the shock/spring assembly.

Any idea on the price of new top mounts?

Hmmmmm I think mine need doing aswell :( I have a fair sized gap and knocking when going over bumps... how much of a job is it? Are there any guides on here? Sorry to OP for jumping on the thread :)

I don't believe your knocking is the top mounts buddy. Your top mounts are fairly common actually with most VRS owners sitting like that. It is true that as the top mount bushes wear they collapse and then let the cup start riding upwards.  And your top mounts could do with replacing. If really worn then maybe the movement over pumps cold make strut drop and this may be the noise you are hearing,  but my guess is your anti roll bar drop links.

You can test these by someone holding the lower part of drop link through wheel and someone else pushing down on front wing bouncing car you will soon feel play in the balljoint.

worst case you have a broken spring.

I have spent many a hour messing with these things. :rofl:

I just knocked up a guide on fitting poly bush top mounts that could also help you replacing std Top mounts as you can do this with removing complete strut from car.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/308117-how-to-fit-poly-bush-top-mounts/?p=3683250