Octavia 2 Vrs Rev limit

Hi

I have owned my Octavia Vrs 2.0 since late last year and his ha run fairly OK since then, few thins I need to check out (wheel bearings or alloys not straight sort of thing)

Anyway, after being stuck in traffic on Friday last week and then being late for work, I booted the car in 2nd, only to hit the rev limit at 5000, checked again in 3rd and it ddi it again. 

Tried on the way home and had the same problem.

I've had the codes checked and there is nothing logged.

Appreciate any ideas or help please?

Thanks

Are you sure it's not a diesel?  :bandit:

Kidding, not sure what could be causing a big reduction in the limiter. How does it feel when you hit 5k? Have you tried keeping the power down for a few seconds after it happens or do you immediately back off?

As soon as it hits 5k it's like hitting a wall - given that you are usually giving it some beans at this point. It stutters and won't go past there. Shift up and she'll be smooth again to the same point.

If you imagine what would happen if you were 2k further up the rev range then probably similar result.

• 4 weeks later...

This happened on my 56 plate vrs petrol. Crankshaft position sensor was slowly dying. As time went by it reduced how far it would allow the engine to rev before it lost the signal/power

Strange you should post this now as only today there was a further development.

Driving home tonight and I held on to 2nd gear just a bit longer just to edge past some donkey trying to cut me up the inside when suddenly it hit the limiter at 3500rpm!

I changed gear and held onto 3rd to see what would happen and it started to bounce at the same spot

Further down the road I repeated the 2nd gear scenario but just held it for a short while. It stuttered for a few seconds then the engine management light came on - briefly - but went out again, and it then revved through all the way up to the red line!?!?

No problem next time I tried further down the road.

But......it left another issue. Idle was then up to 1250 from the normal 750, and pulling away felt sluggish and hesitant.

When I got home I switched off and restarted and idle was back to normal.

OBD now showing:

"Pending Fault Log

------------------

P0321: Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance"

So,..........any ideas?

Check the spark plugs, I had a similar issue in my Golf, wouldn't rev past 3500 rpm, turned out the ECU detected a misfire so reduced the rev limit. It was traced to a cracked plug causing a misfire.

Check the spark plugs, I had a similar issue in my Golf, wouldn't rev past 3500 rpm, turned out the ECU detected a misfire so reduced the rev limit. It was traced to a cracked plug causing a misfire.

Thanks but new plugs two months ago and the problem was there with the old ones.

Have a look on Eurocarparts. Use AUDSRS25 discount code for 25% off too.

If your handy with the spanners fit them yourself.

Typical that they have one can sensor listed, but two possible crank sensors, with a £45 price difference - both seemingly for my car??

Right, for anyone looking for the Cam sensor on the Vrs 2.0 FSi engine it is located slightly to the left of the oil filler cap (looking from the front of the car), and down a few inches. Runs vertically beside the belt cover, and fairly easy to change once the air filter is off the top of the engine, and only cost £18.00

The Crank Sensor was something different. I would say that if you aren't handy with the spanners then go to someone who is.

Slightly to the right of the oil filter, hidden behind the connectors and the holder for the connectors. But that's not the half of it. You can't see the thing at all from the top, you have to go from underneath, meaning you need to remove the under tray, I would recommend the air feeder pipe (unless you have unusually bendy and extra long fingers - but they would have to be fairly freaky tbh!), and also the bracket that holds two connectors on. Only THEN can you get a 10mm on the bolt that holds the sensor in.

And it's a tight fit with nearly zero room for wiggling or a pry-bar, so you just have to keep working it.

I found ate the removal of the above, and the customary knuckle/back-of-hand skin, then it eventually came out.

Cost of this part was about £18 again.

Both parts replaced, code cleared, car running fine. Well, lets say it doesn't have the problem it had before.

So all fixed for less than £40!

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 07/04/2014 at 22:17, freddie0 said:

Driving home tonight and I held on to 2nd gear just a bit longer just to edge past some donkey trying to cut me up the inside when suddenly it hit the limiter at 3500rpm!

I changed gear and held onto 3rd to see what would happen and it started to bounce at the same spot

Further down the road I repeated the 2nd gear scenario but just held it for a short while. It stuttered for a few seconds then the engine management light came on - briefly - but went out again, and it then revved through all the way up to the red line!?!?

But......it left another issue. Idle was then up to 1250 from the normal 750, and pulling away felt sluggish and hesitant.

OBD now showing:

"Pending Fault Log

------------------

So,..........any ideas?

Hi Freddie0, 

I've just found your thread and it's such a great feeling to finally find someone who's have/had the same issues that I'm going through!

I was wondering if you managed to fix the problems with the 2 sensors or if the 'rev limiter' came back again? 

Many thanks 

Chris

07 mk2 Vrs Octavia 

2 minutes ago, freddie0 said:

Hi Chris

The problem all went away with the sensor replacements, didn't happen again after that.

Thanks

What a fast response! Thank you so much! Absolutely love this car and for around £40, I'd love to get it up and running as it should be!

Doubt you've still got yours as it was nearly 5 years ago since your post, but mine has done 300,000km so not sure how much life is left in her! 

Take care, and thanks again! 

Chris 

On 07/04/2014 at 22:17, freddie0 said:

OBD now showing:

"Pending Fault Log

------------------

So,..........any ideas?

Hi Freddie0, 

I've just found your thread and it's such a great feeling to finally find someone who's have/had the same issues that I'm going through!

I was wondering if you managed to fix the problems with the 2 sensors or if the 'rev limiter' came back again? 

Many thanks 

Chris

07 mk2 Vrs Octavia 

• 2 months later...

Hi Freddie0,

Sorry to bother you again with this, but I'm trying to find out what sensors to buy to fix this problem. Obviously I need to get hold of a crank sensor and a cam sensor, but after a searching online (and inputting reg, year, model etc), there seem to be 4 or 5 different options for each, and of course a wide range in cost too.

Is there any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Many many thanks

Chris