Heater matrix

So, I've had to stop on my way home from work today and call out the RAC after ignoring my coolant leak too long. It's blown off a shed load of steam and once the RAC guy looked he revealed its the aluminium pipes going into the matrix which have been the problem.

He's done a bypass op so now my heater doesn't work. Question is, do I pay someone to fix it or do I get pipes from the local scrappy and other parts from ECP or TPS and do it myself? All I have to do is drain the system, fit the pipe back and fill it back up. God knows it'll cost a fortune to have it done proffesionally.

Anyway, it's seems it was all caused by a bracket being broken and someone using a cable tie to attach the pipe to the bracket and the PD engine shake just gradually wore the pipe out. Terrible description I know. I'll try post pictures tomorrow

Personally you dont know the condition of the current matrix.... where is it exactly located?

But yes if the aluminium pipes are mashed up could cost £££, i only say this because normally leads to firewall and prob is that its normally a dash out job on most cars, not sure about fabia, anyone else care to shed some light?

where exactly is the pipes gone bad? 

Pipe went bad on the engine side of the bulkhead. Matrix itself is fine (I think) the RAC guy managed I remove the pipes, seems they are held in by another bracket that is pulled towards the matrix by an Allen bolt. I think it should be reasonably easy to fix, but whenever I touch stud it turns to crap, haha.

38BF3DA6-0A6E-4424-9EAD-69037700608E_zps

The ends of these pipes are supposed to be the same. The broke end was just cracked, but by the time the guy pulled it out its was completely snappe off (still stuck in position actually)

I would you use a silicone hose on the heater matrix to bridge the pipes together..... some stainless jubilee clips also will help 

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Vacuum-ASH-Hose-Pipe-Silicon-Water-Air-Coolant-Dump-Valve-Radiator-/290640027512?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item43ab7edf78

Edited by Jay29

Only problem I can see is getting the silicone pipe to fit, as it needs to fit into the hole (That's what she said) Then there's a bracket which sits on the flange to keep it in place

I dunno if its common, but I've seen another thread about a guy who can't get his new pipes to seal properly, so I guess he's had similar. I'll try upload a few more pics tonight with better explanations

Right then;

The oval shaped hole above the exhaust is where these pipes need to fit into

CBA10E5E-A7EB-404D-8594-BB03B5448822_zps

Theses are the original pipes (broken) the ends at the bottom are supposed to fit into the matrix and the bracket goes over the little flange (I'm an engineer and I still find that word funny)

C2E7BADC-7E5F-48E0-A13F-46DC75D3EE55_zps

The blue bit is connecting the two hoses that plug into the top

58F686B8-5ACD-45E6-84D0-82543540B2A6_zps[/url]

And this next picture you can see the bracket that is supposed to support the pipes just above the connected hoses 

A47A5272-F56B-4231-B5C1-688085C181F8_zps

I've spoken to the stealers, it's £70+VAT for the pipes (6Q0121064N), but the O ring seals are 42p+VAT each.

i've ordered seals, now I'm hoping to get the pipes cheap from eBay/scrapyard.  eBay has been unsuccessful so far :/

Edited by Dudeoli

These were once damaged on one of my cars when a Skoda dealer did a cam belt change.

Obviously the guy had jacked the engine too high, touching the pipes & bracket and then continued to jack up higher to make the cam belt change more accessible. They had road tested the car and passed it OK, I allowed my wife to drive home and was absolutely blazing with the garage when my wife asked what all the noise was about, on driving the car myself, I could not believe that they had allowed me to take it away with the metal to metal grating and banging noises on the bulkhead.

They had to order and fit new parts to rectify the problem at their expense but would not offer an apology.

DB.

These were once damaged on one of my cars when a Skoda dealer did a cam belt change.

Obviously the guy had jacked the engine too high, touching the pipes & bracket and then continued to jack up higher to make the cam belt change more accessible. They had road tested the car and passed it OK, I allowed my wife to drive home and was absolutely blazing with the garage when my wife asked what all the noise was about, on driving the car myself, I could not believe that they had allowed me to take it away with the metal to metal grating and banging noises on the bulkhead.

They had to order and fit new parts to rectify the problem at their expense but would not offer an apology.

DB.

That's disgusting. That's why I never trust anyone else to work on my car other than myself. I don't even trust dealers because it's entirely dependent on whether the individual working on your car is a simpleton or not. If I can do it myself (and I can for most things) I will.

That's disgusting. That's why I never trust anyone else to work on my car other than myself. I don't even trust dealers because it's entirely dependent on whether the individual working on your car is a simpleton or not. If I can do it myself (and I can for most things) I will.

I too do as much work on my cars, now including changing the cam belts.

DB.

There you go mate order those parts tmb gave you a good link

Hmmm didn't realise jacking up engine would ruin the pipes I'm getting my Cambelt done soon soon so will advise my garage but I stand there and watch all the work being done to avoid any issues,

I get my own parts and they do the labour simple

I tried TPS and got the pipes, bracket, nut, seals and 5 litres of antifreeze for about £70. Antifreeze was £10, definitely going to TPS for stuff from now on. Hopefully I can have a crack at it tomorrow

Hopefully I can have a crack at it tomorrow

Maybe 'crack' is an unfortunate choice of word when talking about aluminium heater pipes :giggle:

• Like 1