MOT Fail - wobbly headlight. Bumper removal?

Deputy

Hi

My Yeti failed it's first MOT today.  Drivers side whole headlight assembly is wobbly.  Sure enough the whole unit feels a bit loose compared to the rock solid left handside.  Obviously the local dealer wants £450+ just to order and fit a new whole Xenon and fog light assembly.  I wanted to check it wasn't just an easily fixed broken bracket or similar (sadly the days of dealers doing repairs are gone!)

Anyone had to remove a headlight and how did you do it?  Bumper off job I assume, if so any tips....?

thanks

(I'm also asking dealer about warranty claim, it's 3 years old next month so still in warranty and never had a knock or impact)

How do you know it's not. Had an impact? Sounds like a small shunt in a supermarket car park , while your inside to me..... Pure speculation though until you take the bumper off. Btw easy job to do,

I had to replace a wobbly headlight after hitting a deer. The headlight looked perfect and worked fine but the plastic moulding at the edge, where it was attached, had broken.

Fantastic, thanks.

I also found a few good pics on partbase . org by clicking on the appropriate Yeti section.  Now just need to get a spare hour this weekend!

Do they mean the plastic that the bulbs held in with in the assy?

Had to have a new headlight unit on the works car as the chrome plastic bit had fallen off and the headlight bulb was floating in the unit.

Thank heavens it was on warranty as bill would have been £600 odd :eek:

Question - anyone who's taken the bumper off.  I just can't locate the screws labelled as "1" on the bumper diagram above.  The drawing seems to show them inside but where are they?!!

Thanks

I found that the easiest way to access these screws, was to remove the plastic liners inside the wheel wells.
You may also need to buy new plastic expanding rivets, pos 7. Two different dimensions. Got mine from the dealer.

Thanks for the tip on wheel trims but still couldn't access them without removing the trim completely.  May resort to plan B involving 3M exterior automotive adhesive tape to hold the headlight secure near the fog light mounting point.......