Struggling to find a good deal on PCP...

LordVader

Hello everyone, first post here, was directed to the forum by a friend who is a Skoda lover and big fan...

I have a ten-year old BMW with 90,000 miles on it, which I love but it's doing 29MPG and I've had to chuck several hundred quid at it in the last year or so to fix faults (brakes, exhaust, battery) and to get it through the MOT.  I've decided that I can't risk it suffering some major mechanical failure, plus it's expensive to tax and insure.

After lots of research I've settled on the CitiGo as a replacement; obviously a much smaller car but modern, gets great reviews, excellent MPG etc. 

I've spent some time with a dealer, the car I want is... Citigo 5dr Elegance Greentech 75PS, metallic paint, with spare wheel and Summer Pack.

The deal I've been offered is:

£2,000 deposit

35 x monthly repayments £144.70 (includes servicing, maintenance and tyres)

GFV £4832

Having done all the maths (mpg, insurance, etc), this car will cost me almost exactly the same as the BMW over three years, the advantage being I'll be driving a new car, and there will be no unexpected or additional costs.  The disadvantage is that I won't own the car after 3 years (I am fully aware of how PCP works and have a good understanding of the pros and cons).

So the question for you good people is... is this a good deal?  I don't really have anything to compare it to.  The dealer is very keen to get this deal done before the end of the month but is adamant that this is his best offer, there's nothing else to give, and if I walk away there'll be nothing better on offer.

Edited by LordVader

Thats not a good deal at all! That means you are paying over £12K for a citigo!

I've seen SEs advertised at £99 deposit and £99 pm.

You may have to shop around to get a good deal though. A good few of us have and got good deals.

Failing that have you looked at Seat and the Mii??

that's not to bad for a full monty package, (tyres etc inluded) the £99 payment and deposit, are a base S spec with very low annual milage

is free servicing no longer on offer if on pcp?

never hurts to get a second quote from another dealer, also talk to current dealer and ask what they can do to reduce cost

what part of the country are you, then others local to you can point you in the direction of a good dealer

if you are London way try preston motors (one of the site sponsors and done a number of good deals for members)

....... the £99 payment and deposit, are a base S spec with very low annual milage

That was for an SE ;). Yes, it was only 5K per year but i wouldnt get too hung up on mileage, if you buy the car or trade it in its irrelevant and upping it to 12K pa would probably only add another £20 per month.

But yeah, thinking about it you are probably paying £25 per month for the servicing plus tyres.....

To the OP, i came from an older beemer too and i love the citigo, even if i do miss the driving position on the E46, IMO the best of any car ive ever been in.

the mileage is a bit of chicken and egg

the penalty for excess mileage doesn't come into play unless you just hand the car back and walk away so not an issue for the vast majority

but it does have an effect on GFV,

a higher annual mileage will increase you monthly payment  but reduce your GFV as a higher milage car is worth less, so you will have paid more over the contract but will have less to find if you want to pay the final payment to keep the car

also it affects your equity in the car at the end of contract , as the equity ( a.k.a deposit on next vehicle if you want another on pcp) is the current value taking into account condition, milage atc minus the GFV (and any outstanding finance if changing early)

The servicing maintenance and tyres is £26 per month. That is rediculous for a car that size, nearly £1000 over 3 years. A full set of decent tyres is £200, 2 x interim service £100 and major service £200. What's going go wrong maintenance wise on the car? Nothing, it's under warranty! If you use brakes in 3 years I'd be surprised, but they won't cost that much anyway!

Even just the servicing package is not worth it, it's more expensive than paying separately for the services.

Taking it over 42 months and lowering the mileage will also help payments.

Drop the service package and you're at under £120 a month anyway.

Edited by phsroberts

Thanks all, having slept on it I am thinking it's too much to pay... I'm on the Surrey/Hants border, if people want to suggest alternative dealers in my area I'd be happy to also speak with them...

The servicing maintenance and tyres is £26 per month. That is rediculous for a car that size, nearly £1000 over 3 years. A full set of decent tyres is £200, 2 x interim service £100 and major service £200. What's going go wrong maintenance wise on the car? Nothing, it's under warranty! If you use brakes in 3 years I'd be surprised, but they won't cost that much anyway!

The service+maintenance+tyres is £18/month which is £630 over three years.  I think that's reasonable given that it's complete peace of mind.

Markyg thanks for that, I do love the E46 and my biggest fear is ending up in a car that I don't enjoy driving, so it's good to hear your positive comments.

Thanks all, having slept on it I am thinking it's too much to pay... I'm on the Surrey/Hants border, if people want to suggest alternative dealers in my area I'd be happy to also speak with them...

The service+maintenance+tyres is £18/month which is £630 over three years. I think that's reasonable given that it's complete peace of mind.

Fair enough, it's £26 on the Skoda website.

• Like 1

Thats not a good deal at all! That means you are paying over £12K for a citigo!

I've seen SEs advertised at £99 deposit and £99 pm.

You may have to shop around to get a good deal though. A good few of us have and got good deals.

Failing that have you looked at Seat and the Mii??

Actually the total cost is 11732, list for that car and spec is 11750, but obviously the price I've quoted includes serving, maintenance and tyres for the three years.

Like you I'm moving from a BMW - all comfort and convenience - into a smaller car but it has to be comfortable and I like high spec cars, so the S and even the SE doesn't really do it for me.  I think I would be happy enough in the Elegance for three years, definitely not in the lower spec cars.

As for Seat, I haven't looked.  Don't feel comfortable with them as a brand and the Mii doesn't get such good reviews.  And I'm trying to keep my options as limited as possible, or my brain really will melt :-)

That GMFV looks very much like its a 42 month deal, as it's the exact same figure as I have for the same car. Infact, if you do the maths, it adds up almost perfectly to you paying list price and the £26 per month for maintenance over 42 months.

If you've been offered that over 36 months, bite their hand off, as there's the amount of discount is greater than the profit margin on that car!

Edited by phsroberts

I just got Elegance greentech 5Dr with entertainment pack , spare wheel, free servicing and Gap insurance on Pcp for £146 over 42months. (£99 deposit)

Hope this gives you a bit of guidance.

Edited by Stu308

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing finally did the deal today at £136/month over 35 months.

Taking out the cost of the servicing+maintenance+tyres I make that £10949 not bad for a list price of £11750. Now I just have to wait four months for it to arrive!!

• Like 1

Just got to wait now ( I found that bit difficult!).

All I can say is that the citigos are great fun to drive down twisty roads, loads of grip and sharp steering. They aren't quick cars but you can drive everywhere with your foot flat to the floor. And still enjoy 50 mpg.

• Like 1

Just got to wait now ( I found that bit difficult!).

All I can say is that the citigos are great fun to drive down twisty roads, loads of grip and sharp steering. They aren't quick cars but you can drive everywhere with your foot flat to the floor. And still enjoy 50 mpg.

Good to hear from a fellow (previous) E46 owner!

The great thing is they've given me a guaranteed PX value on my car so nearer the delivery date I'll try and sell mine privately - if I get more than the PX value then I'm quids in, if not, nothing lost.

The long wait begins!

I'm going to be very disappointed if you didn't order it in black.

Prepare to be very disappointed - metallic green with ivory interior!

Was initially going for silver but then saw these photos elsewhere on the forum and realised how fab this colour combination looks!

Edited by LordVader
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So finally my citigo is nearly ready - I've picked the number plate and collect it next Thursday. Exciting stuff - we are straight off to N Wales via the midlands the day after so I'll get a chance to see how she goes on a long journey.

Having read up a bit on here I decided I should have ordered the variable boot floor. Dealer offered to supply and fit before delivery for £170, or supply parts only for £100. You can guess which I chose!

Will post pics when I have the car - maybe I can find some picturesque backdrops in Wales!

Having read up a bit on here I decided I should have ordered the variable boot floor. Dealer offered to supply and fit before delivery for £170, or supply parts only for £100. You can guess which I chose

Can't believe how much they charge for fitting the variable boot floor. It's a case of three bolts each side, that's it. I bought the parts from my local VW dealer and fitted in in less than 10 mins. Easy.

Edited by scgf