No power, low revs, no codes!?!

Hi All,

I picked up my first Octavia today. A mk1 52 plate 1.9tdi ambiente. I thought I was getting a fairly good deal, high mileage but I can live with that! Unfortunately, upon getting onto a main road I discovered a problem. The car can barely accelerate. It doesn't seem to want to go above 3000rpm so i'm constantly changing gears to speed up. I can hear the whine of the turbo spooling up but when you hit 3000 there is just no power at all. I've got a 1.9 Roomster too and the performance is absolutely dire compared to it. I've had vcds on it and there are no faults anywhere, can anyone give me any clue what might be causing this and is it likely to be expensive to fix?

One other thing that may/may not be relevant. When I switch the ignition on, the car dings at me around 6 times. Normal or a clue? No engine management light at all though.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Chrissfoot

I've done a little more reading and suspect that, given the nature of the person I bought it from, the car may be suffering from CLOS (Careful Lady Owner Syndrome). So i've just been out and run it for a couple of miles in 3rd gear with my foot flat to the floor (it just about makes 4000 revs) to try and clear some of the crud out. I've also stuck some injector cleaner in and the higher grade diesel. Fingers crossed I can burn up some of the gunk from the turbo!