Just bought a 1.4 Dohc.

As the topic says just bought a fabia 101ps 1.4 for my misses as her 1st car. It's a 2000 with 70,000 miles on the clock so it's not without a couple issues.

Although it has a full service history there is no evidence of the cam belts being done and it's 10 thousand miles over due. Is it an easy job or should I take it to a garage, and any ideas how long the belts could last for? (It's an old mans car that's been garaged since he died).

Secondly the central doesn't work from either of the key fobs but is fine from the lock it's self but it does set the alarm of occasionally. Any ideas how to rectify this problem???

And one last thing. I have a mk 2 VRS estate and am really thinking about getting rid of it. How easy is it to swap the brakes over to this mk1.

Many thanks if anybody can help with me inquires.

Will changing to Central locking control unit stop the alarm from constantly going off and get the remote keys working again??? Going to pull off bits of the cam cover to check the state of the belt. What are the differences between an old belt and a new one? Vision and feel.

What are the differences between an old belt and a new one? Vision and feel.

There's nothing you can really see. You just replace the belt at the recommended times. The belt could look fine and still snap.

You'll only be able to see the top belt easily, the main cambelt is mostly hidden, the belts should look shiny and dry and the writing should be clearly visible, you can't see or feel the tensioner bearing or the water pump.

If opened by key, ISTR the alarm will eventually go off if the key isn't put into the ignition switch.

Have you changed the keyfob batteries? Are they flip keys and does the little red LED glow when pressing button(s)?

The previous owner said it just stopped a while ago but they just used the keys to unlock it. Yes it's flip keys and I can't say I even noticed a red light on either of then. Will try in a second to look at the keys. What type of battery do they use?