Nikon / Nikkor "G" lens question

While taking the lens off the body - should the diaphragm remain open or close ?

I notice mine remains closed and I suspect something is wrong with the lens.

As I have only a 18-200 VR I don't take it off the body, so I don't remember how it should be !

Thanks in advance

R.G.

I'm actually about to get a Canon camera, is it any good overall as a brand?

This is not actually the answer you want - and totally hijacks the thread (Mods - could we split it?) but brand does not make a good camera since today it is fairly hard to make a bad one.

The question (this gets more Zen), is 'what do you want to take pictures of?' and 'How much do you have to spend?'.

If you are want to point the camera at the kids, press the button and post the pictures here and on facebook, you might as well buy a compact. If you want to think about how the picture looks, how much of the fore-mid and background are in focus, whether fast moving objects show motion blur, exactly where the exposure is, then a DSLR or the newer mirrorless equivalents are better.

And at that point all brands let you do that - but some offer faster focus, better low light performance, better weather proofing, a more intuitive layout for you - I can use Canon but find Nikon and Pentax more intuitive, a close friend who is a professional photographer just cannot get her head around my Nikons - a lens set that offers the ranges you require.

And then - do you want to process the images a little,  a lot, then you may need software such as Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop, Bridge....there are free ones too, plus storage e.g. extra hard disks so that a computer failure does not mean that five years pictures are lost.

As a brand yes Canon is great and they probably have the right camera for you, but Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma etc might also have the camera that you just 'click' with [cr*p pun I know].

Did that help? :)

Matt

Edited by MattHunt