Checking the timing

How much effort is it to check the timing?  I've searched and found a few guides for replacing the belt but most of them try to preserve the existing timing rather than re-aligning it.

I'm getting the fault code about an implausible signal from the crank sensor, which I understand is usually due to the timing being off by one tooth rather than a faulty sensor.  I'm due a belt change in 20,000 miles anyway - is checking the timing significantly less effort than just replacing the belt and re-aligning the timing?

Edited by will_

check the timing ,you have a mark at the camshaft pulley ,and one down on the crankshaft acc pulley,both perpendiculary....is very simple

Capture.jpg

Let me learn you one trick...jack up the right wheel,put the tranny in 5th gear,and them turn your wheel by hand,it will help you turning the engine ,until you hit the timing marks ;)

Edited by IulianE
  • Like 1

Thanks, Iulian, that's really helpful.

Silly question but where do I look to find those two pullies?  I recognise the top one and I guess the bottom one must be way down underneath it, but what's the best "way in"?  From above or from below?  Is it possible to see without a pit?

top pulley is under the plastic cover,is easy to be seen

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1910timing_mark.JPG

bottom pulley is best to be inspected from underneath,and a good option is to remove the lateral splash guard

http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMER0ytdjclg/2012-08-21_225243_2012-08-16_032057_411435_390545074333938_1786966179_o.jpg

• Like 1