How or where to get code for radio from breakers?

Got a sat nav, Amundsen+, from a breakers yard and he told me the number on the side was the code but it's actually the reg number. How or where do I get the code? Can I get it online or will a skoda dealer give it to me? Anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

Officially it has to be in the originating vehicle and connected to a dealers computer to talk to head office and get the code which they might give you.

Unofficially, if you have a good relationship with the dealer, they may still be able to get it without seeing the vehicle. Although this is becoming rarer.

Even more unofficially, there are companies on eBay that offer a code retrieval service.

I'm sure there must be something inbetween the dealer & eBay such as a legitimate company in this country, but I'm not going to make suggestions as I don't know for certain any that offer this and it may not be 'Skoda approved'.

Yeah I'll go to a dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Bit of a grey area really isn't it.

Got it for 200 euro out of a 2012 crashed vrs, pretty sure I did extremely well though at that price. Fitted the gps arial and an oem mic into the mesh on the light too. Pity I need the code after all that.

I messaged the guy from the breakers to see if the code happens to be in the manual for the radio that is possibly still in the glove box. Not sure if the code would be in the manual though, think they are sometimes.

I was given the original, when I had the Kenwood fitted when new. Two years later I just took the unit into the dealers (not the original , the one I use for servicing), as I never had the code. They went out the back with the unit and came back with the code, as I was giving the original to someone

The ECU in the car will store up to three seperate radio codes, so when you put a new one in it won't just overwrite the existing one.

Yeah, that is a good price, nice work.

That's good, be keeping the old one just incase. If I get rid of it don't you know the new one will get robbed. Went into a few dealers yesterday (Saturday) but it's only sales staff in on a Saturday so I have to try ring them and get the code over the phone with a bit of luck they will give it to me. Worst case scenario a very nice woman in one of the dealers said if I email her the reg of the car it came out of and the serial number of the radio she will get it for me on Wednesday and email it to me. Did her one better and got the chassis number out of the next dealers.