Jason's Fabia headlight restoration guide

devonutopia

Might have done this before, but just done another one (my own Fabia, not a customer's) so thought I would post up more pics of the stages to try and show what I do.

First off - manky lights! Yuck! The lights were generally well manky and surprised car got through last MOT like it!

DSCF0105.jpg

Close up of damage

DSCF0106.jpg

Taped off to prevent damage to the bumper whilst getting pretty aggressive on the headlight

DSCF0107.jpg

This was after a good attack with 1200 grit wet and dry paper, (soaked in water first for some time) using an eraser to give a nice flat edge

DSCF0108.jpg

Once dried off, clearly more work to be done

DSCF0109.jpg

So the lights were refined up further with 1500 grit, 2000 grit and finally 2500 grit before being polished with a 2" wool pad on my rotary polisherr

DSCF0110.jpg

Some more cuttting could have been done in the corner but I left this for now

DSCF0113.jpg

Passenger light treated in the same manner, before and after

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

On anyone else's car I also have a UV protection coating to prevent the onset of the UV breakdown in the freshly refurbed lens.  However I didn't bother on this one, as only a test mule.

• Like 1

Thats just what i was after! Cheers Jason!

On the plus side my headlights aren't as bad as I thought!

There is some Glass sealant liquid stuff on amazon (£8), supposed to good for this is also a  UV protector that 'supposed' to last 2 years, but that obviously won't protect against scratches etc.

I would say 98% of the damage on the lens' in my case was UV damage, not scratches - apart from the gunk left by the headlight beam convertor sticker, but that sanded off easily compared to the actual sun damaged bits.

Well, I just did some research, and it seems GTechniq C4 is the best coating you can use, so I just splashed out £45 big ones on a 30ml pot..... :D

I think I will use that when people are paying me to do their headlights, and not waste it on the fabia ones above.

Great guide and speedy turn around

Thanks

Just waiting on my £45 pot of UV sealant from GTechniq and they'll be sorted.  Not sure I want to waste the expensive stuff on a pair of headlights I am only going to sell on though.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this result is amazing. My headlights got an advisor last year on mot because of the amount of scratches.

Could I use the same process to sort these....

You can if you have all the gear. :)

Ooh, how much do you charge? Or do you still want to sell them?

I think you might already have got in touch? :D

• 8 months later...

Bugger, wonder where the links have gone.  Assume I must have deleted them.  Probably because it was using the blue Fabia elegance I bought and sold on a couple of years ago..... :D

I shall attempt to upload and reinstate the links.

I have that stuff and it seems to work fine my head lights are still in good nick since I restored them. I also use it on the windscreen occasionaly and it's good at making rain drops fall off your windscreen whilst driving but the durability is not very good especially compared to the Gtechnic stuff.

The likes of Aquapel and Trico View are better for repelling. :thumbup:

I forget the name of the UV stuff I got, but I do remember it was over £30 for a tiny pot.   :(

I still have the Aquapel thinghy that I brought from you a while ago. Haven't used yet due to my windscreen being a poor state from stone chips and water spots need to give it a going over with some Ceriglass when I get a chance.