estate boot will not close!

Hi Chaps,

I need some help please with my boot not closing on my estate, i'm due to go away in the morning, but after opening the boot it will no longer close. Please help!

if i try to close the boot it just bounces back and doesn't engage the latch, looking at the latch there is a small "tab" on the left which is stuck out which does not allow the catch to engage around the "shaft" (for want of a better word) - ive attached an image, the tab is the piece on the left which is preventing the plastic cover from returning to its normal position.

I can't hear the switch on the tailgate making any noise when it pressed so not sure if it is the switch that is gone? 

any help is (as ever) hugely appreciated!!!

thanks

Fake Elvis

post-99159-0-22121700-1397764837_thumb.jpg

thanks but ive looked at this thread, my issue appears to be different in that (i think) its related to the switch or the small circular sprung "thing" that releases the boot catch on the boot lid itself - just to the left and above the finger in the second image down from the first post in the above thread.

thanks

I've just been out and had a look at how mine operates. When the boot is opened, the small circular sprung 'thingie' moves to the left allowing the plate at the bottom of the loop to spring back up.

It sounds like it is under some sort of electrical power, so I wonder if that's the problem? It also has a spring next to it, which appears to be lubricated with grease. It could be worth lubricating that and see how you go.

Edited by flying pig

That bit should retract a few seconds after the boot opens. The wiring for it does a U turn and goes back to the passenger side rear quarter behind the CD changer. Does your rear washer work OK?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The join in the rear washer pipe is next to the electrical connectors, leaky pipe = dodgy electrics.

Its quite quick to take out the centre boot trim. Remove the spare wheel, undo 3 bolts and then pull. That will give full access to the mechanism. I suppose you could temporarily unbolt it.

legend thanks trundlenut and flying pig - checked the rear washer and it doesnt work!, do you think it leaked onto the electrics then? the washer is in the top of the boot lid so it would travel a long way to get down there...

.. also would this affect the switch on the boot? it normally works when the boot is open as well (you can normally hear it "switching" even if the boot is open)

The joint in the pipe is held in the same bracket as the two electrical connectors for everything at the back. I would suspect you may get all kinds of random problems.

It takes about 20 mins to pull off all the trim to get at at the connectors behind the CD changer. You probably have some corroded pins in one or both connectors which will need to be bypassed.

Is there any water in the spare wheel well?

• Like 1

It's a well known fault on the Octavia & mine was repaired by the main dealer under warranty for the previous owner. The pipe leading to the washer becomes disconnected and can leak into the boot and onto the electrics as trundlenut mentioned.

• Like 1

Grrr! looks like i'm going to have to talk my wifes car then tomorrow!!! i havent noticed any water in the wheel well - last checked a few days ago when i changed the winter tyres back over to the summers, i suppose it could have happened since then though..., i'll see if i can get some quick time in the morning, but it may have to wait.

thanks again for your help!

There is a raised seam on the boot floor about 2 inches from the edge of the side trim which can stop the water getting into the wheel well. There is also a drain which will allow screenwash to escape out behind the rear wheel.

Ah ok, so the job is - remove trim around the latch thingy and free up if possible, then remove the trim around cd changer (soooo early 90's!!) and check if washer nozzle/pipe has come off/leaking onto conveniently placed electrics - if so dry and spray with WD40 (or maybe bypass/replace connector) and reconnect and glue/cable tie washer pipe?

OK this appears not be as simple as I thought I've checked all of the comnections and they seem fine. There is no washer fluid leaks from the connector. I've taken the connectors off and sprayed with wd40 but still nothing at the switch and nothing from the rear washer. Please help or recommend an auto electrician in the preston area!

Does everything else at the back work?

Can you hear the pump run when you try to wash the back windscreen? I think there is another connector behind the washer bottle which can pop off, but then you get a puddle by the front off side wheel.

The area around the connectors was bone dry. No signs of any leakages. I took the connectors off and reconnected them a couple of tines and sprayed with WD. Rear washer and tailgate switch are lifeless... Boo.

A scan with VCDS may help shine some light on the problem. After the connectors the wiring diverges so you would think the problem must be the connectors or before. There is an earth below the off side rear light cluster, did you check that?

Looking at the current flow diagram in the manual the central locking motor is driven directly from the control unit behind the dash. There is a local ground point in the loom. You can test the earth and the supply with a meter. I have uploaded the wiring diagrams here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6ytVYfsfAiNUWs3RWhRUjYwd0k&usp=sharing

If the wiring checks out then it may be the motor.

• Like 1