Vcds for checking alarm problem

Hi looking for advice, got my 2006 octavia Vrs tdi couple of weeks ago and have got a problem with the alarm going off for no reason. I've read posts about this and see I need vcds to find out where the problem is so just want to know exactly what I need to buy, I have seen some cables on eBay but not sure what I need so if someone could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated

No eBay cable will help. Either they are kkl and don't work with CAN (which the mkII uses) or they are knock off copies.

Look at the Ross Tech website for a list of UK suppliers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Have a look at amazon.co.UK for a fault code reader. Must be for Volkswagens. You will pay something between 25 and 50 quid. If the car has logged a fault you will be able to see what it is and reset it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperScan-VS450-OBDII-Scantool-Reader/dp/B001A33HAG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397928963&sr=8-3&keywords=Volkswagen+fault+code+readers

Your alarm has a battery which needs replacing at six year intervals. It is behind the front drivers wheel inside the wing. They cost £117 from skodaparts.com. As the battery dies they cause problems.

I take it the universal fault code readers wouldn't work as I am sure my brothers got one?

I also had the alarm go off when I was driving last weekend and had to stop and it took a couple of minutes to get it to go off, does that sound like it could be that battery playing up? At the time I had the spare key in my pocket and thought I had maybe pressed a button on that to set it off but don't think so now

Also there is no noise when I lock the car, the lights flash and I hear the car locking but no chirp

Beep on lock/unlock is a feature which can be enabled with VCDS but isn't set from the factory. So its absence could merely be a case that it has not been enabled, rather than a problem with its battery which has a life of circa 6 years.