Civic to VRS - would I be disappointed?

Guest BigJase88

All mk1 favia vrs's use the 1.9 pd engine

They changed in late 05 from asz engine code to blt.

The change was to incorporate the newer euro emissions cr4p that they love nowadays

The 2.2 derv apparently chews through clutches and flywheels at 60k intervals

But then on the other hand the fabia also eats clutches and flywheels, front bushes, weak turbo's.

Id say if the civic is issue free id just stick with

Sorry but total utter tosh

Sorry, just from a "1 owner" Fabia vRS owner whose driving the same clutch, same flywheel, same turbo over 100K, and over 7 years. Most manufaturers would probably consider the car written off at this age and mileage !

Oh you got me on the rubber bushes - a suspension consumable lol go figure on that one ! lol

Even your uber rep mobile would probably need such minor maintenance over such distance and time.

Also that isn't a mustang slayer either is it ? Just a realistic counter point to your viewpoint !

I don't look at the Fabia with rose tinted glasses either.....given half a chance I'd get a nice Jag mate. Certainly not 10 a penny german / Czeck metal.

But.....in the meanwhile, the czeck quality of products is very, very good. Undisputably as they are top of the customer surveys. Again.

Guest BigJase88

I seem to see a few turbo / flywheel / clutch threads on here. I have also had clutch / flywheel failure at 33k miles on my first fabia vrs. Granted it was mapped so kindov devaluates that arguement. Even standard pd130 have been known to go through clutches and flywheel. A lot will be down to how they have been driven. So you take your chances.

Every car has its issues. So that's why i said if your civic is issue free then keep it.

Stop hatin' on the rep uber mobile wheelbarrow edition

Its all relative. You don't TEND to get owners like me, harping on about how reliable their car has been.

However now I AM, as I'm sick to death of hearing about possibly poorly maintained, 2nd/3rd or more owner cars. I'm an example of someone that bought new, looked after the car, and guess what ? It didn't need much.

Again....go figure....

I don't hate BMs....but I don't see em through rose tints either sorry. I'd rather have the Kia (concept becoming real?) GT4 stinger over anything german anyday!

Too many badge snobs - they are a bit too "aspiring to be something more than they are" to me.

You could say the opposite could now be true with say Skoda, you may be right. I don't care, its just cheap and effective cars.

You can't argue with the quality of the BMs...but that can be said for so many cars now....including Skoda. I think like Tesco manufacturers like BM are starting to see some real competition in the "squeezed middle"

If I had the money though, no object, it still wouldn't be german, it would be Jag/Aston/Sky's the limit!

But regardless, enjoy your car - thats what its for, brand is irrelevant.

Guest BigJase88

Tbh if you go away from VAG which is what i wanted to do as the majority of the cars i've owned have been, the question is what do you buy at a reasonable price?

Ford / vauxhall and french for me is a no no.

Badge snob i probably am. Wouldnt consider a kia or hynundai (maybe the kia pro-ceed new one)

Then im probably too young for a volvo / jag / merc.

Theres not much choice left really. I actually chose the car on the condition of it. I can guarantee you won't find a cleaner 2007 320d in the country. That i can honestly say

:)

Proceed GT got me a little bitt excited, but not too much if I'm honest. Its not a bad looker and interesting performance but not enough to drag me down the dealer to buy a new car, unless they have some serious finance and VAT offers.

Check out the GT4 though !! Thats far more interesting ! A 310+hp for sub £30k apparently - and rumouring to go production not just concept ? Its half the price of something like a Jaguar F but allowing you to buy into that kind of idealism, like a proper purists sports car that ought to be at least 10K+ more !!

Something that sadly you won't get for that price and performance mark for all but the minority of manufacturers

Where would you get any car from Germany offering you anything like that ! I'm seriously interested to see how this develops and whether they stick to the price margins