Help with MDI

So basically I have a 62 plate monte and I have an iPhone 5s. The problem is i have an iPhone 4 MDI cable, so I got a converter to convert it into a 5 plug and the MDI will only charge my phone and the car will not even recognise my phone?!

Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think unless it is a genuine apple cable it won't work. The cheaper Chinese adapters are just for power only, not data transfer (to do with the chipset in the converter - or not in this case!)

I got a VW MDI to lightning cable off ebay last week.  It was £39.  Apparently they started at around £70 ish when they first came out but prices are coming down.  It works anyway!  I tried getting the cheaper MDI to USB and hooking up my apple USB lightning cable but it wouldn't recognise it.  Only the MDI to lightning cable seems to work.  I know others have used 4 to 5 converters but I think you have to use an Apple one or it won't work with the cheaper replicas.

It works anyway! I tried getting the cheaper MDI to USB and hooking up my apple USB lightning cable but it wouldn't recognise it.

It wont do mate. With anything else it would, but with apple's stuff, they like to encode things to make things really difficult for you haha.

Just like drag and dropping files. Nope. You must use iTunes.

• Like 1

Ahhhh how annoying! Think I will just have to dig out my old iPod and use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what I did :)