Uprated Sachs Performance Clutch Kit

Short update / review of the above which I had fitted yesterday by the fine gentlefolk at Shark Performance, who had the foresight to order the correct slave cylinder (I had been sold the wrong one, thank you TPS Cardiff..) and a new DMF on hand as there was a suspicion that it might not have been a sachs OE part, though I am informed (from Sachs) that the CZAA engine code was only ever fitted with a Sachs OE clutch and flywheel, the LUK supply was stopped when the BWA engine ceased production. Job was done about an hour quicker than I expected, which was a bonus since 6 hours of kicking your heels in the cafes of Mansfield town centre has limited attraction, I was beginning to wish I was in Merthyr....

First impression was jesus, this pedal is stiff, this is going to be a laugh in traffic jams. Next problem was learning to drive again in the 200 yards across the carpark to the highway. I've read, and was warned it will be a bit juddery at first, and they're right, it feels nothing like the soft spongy delicate OE device that it has replaced. I can see that once is bedded in, it will still require a more aggresive approach. The OE clutch can be tickled into motion, without even using the throttle, even in 2nd gear on the flat, but no chance with this monster; you have to wrestle the car forwards, with a bit more engine speed on the way through the biting point. This eliminates the judder somewhat, and probably will help the wear/bedding in. I can tell already that if you're into traffic light GPs then this is ideal. The OE clutch felt like it would snap if you were even a little bit clumsy with it, the uprated version demands a much more robust technique. Oh, and a strong left leg - Im not sure how my g/f is going to find it, but I suspect she won't be offering to drive us home from parties anytime soon....

Slightly OT, whilst I was with the Shark guys, we were chatting about the K04 upgrade. Apparently someone has an FL vRS with one fitted and remapped, so circa 350bhp, but the car looks absolutely OE standard because his wife doesn't know. Amusing story about an emergency use of the STS box to prevent her from discovering the difference between 200 ish and 350 bhp. I'd love to know if he's a forum member, as that's exactly what I want to do (mad power, keep car looking standard, not run around a hospital car park in my PJs). PM me if it's you, your secret is safe!