What is this part in the engine room? It came loose...

Hello all, I am a recent Superb Estate facelift owner (4x4 diesel 2.0 TDI 125kW / 170 HP) owner.

This part (tube with wider section) in the engine room came off from the larger piece, near my finger in the 1st picture.  I have no clue what this is, and what the impact of it coming off is.  There seems to be no liquid inside.

I could push it back down and it seems to be firmly connected again, but I am worried if this is ok or not.

Could someone please tell me what this is?  Is it normal that you can just pull it out of there, where it connects to the larger tube?

Thank you!!

post-110750-0-98643500-1398976279_thumb.jpg

post-110750-0-05812300-1398976282_thumb.jpg

post-110750-0-45239300-1398976283_thumb.jpg

Edited by maltokyo

Blinker fluid reservoir?

It's actually a resonator chamber.  The line that it is in carries filtered air to a valve that is used to drive the vanes in the turbocharger.  These vanes dial up the required amount of boost.  That little cylinder thingy is a silencer to reduce buzzing noise caused by the pulsing air from the intake.

vacuum.png

If you're wondering how the turbocharger selects the boost, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GrVS-sGdQ

Hey, thank you for your response.  Your first words confused me.  "blinker fluid"?  Maybe its a joke, sorry but I don't get it if it is a reference to something serious, and I would like to understand.

The info on the resonator chamber is very interesting.  And the image as well.  Where did you find this, I would live a PDF with all the schematics of my car, telling me what is what.

Does the fact that my resonator chamber was not connected to the air filter (as per your diagram) for some days, pose a big issue?  Should I take to get checked?

Thank you for the help here.  I really have no clue on this, but would love to learn.

Hi, blinker fluid is a joke.  This web site is full of them: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=g7-ypLlxkKU-shNUrKxuM0

The information came from a system called ELSA.  It's basically the same thing the workshops use.  You can probably find a copy on your favorite bittorrent site.

The chamber is connected to the air filter so that its air intake is clean.  I wouldn't be too worried about damage if it was disconnected for a short while unless you have been driving through extremely dusty conditions.  Why was it disconnected though? Perhaps it was loose from the factory or maybe it was bumped during some maintenance.  Keep an eye on it and if it comes off again for no reason I'd suggest you get it fixed/replaced/tightened or DIY if you feel able to.