Estate Rear Wiper

My rear wiper packed in on my Scout.  I replaced the whole assembly with a new one, fairly easy job... remove trim off inside of tailgate, remove wiper (used a puller bought off ebay for less than £10) unplug, unbolt then replace with new one, plug in, trim on, done!  Wee tip - the wiper does not work when the boot is open!  At first I thought the new one was dud, but then realized the washer wasn't working either and shut the boot fully all was good.

I tore apart the old one to discover the motor was fine and although the mechanism appeared well greased it was the metal gear plates that had seized.  I would suggest if you have similar rear wiper failure to take the back plate off the mechanism (this can be done from inside with wiper still on car) and put penetraing oil the grease on the metal cogs and see if things work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - I still have the old rear wiper off my 4x4 Octavia estate and when I have stripped it down will report whether the same fix will work on mine.  I will then have a spare!

I have been told the trim off the rear door is tricky to remove without damaging it - any tips there please?

The symptom you describe is typically what happens when water and especially screen wash seep past the shaft seal and slowly rust the inner mechanism to the point it seizes.

I wouldn't say screen wash was more corrosive, just that it will act as a detergent on the grease and allow more water/screen wash to get past the grease and start the rusting process.

Good for you taking it to bits, always the best way to learn :-)

The symptom you describe is typically what happens when water and especially screen wash seep past the shaft seal and slowly rust the inner mechanism to the point it seizes.

I wouldn't say screen wash was more corrosive, just that it will act as a detergent on the grease and allow more water/screen wash to get past the grease and start the rusting process.

Good for you taking it to bits, always the best way to learn :-)

On the estate the washer is no where near the wiper.  I guess if the seal through the screen was bad then water / washer fluid could get in but I don't think that was the problem.

• Love it! 1

Thanks - I still have the old rear wiper off my 4x4 Octavia estate and when I have stripped it down will report whether the same fix will work on mine.  I will then have a spare!

I have been told the trim off the rear door is tricky to remove without damaging it - any tips there please?

To remove the trim; start at the top side edge and get a broad screwdriver or something similar in plastic if you are really concerned about damaging paint, and prise the trim out.  As soon as the first outer fastener pops open use a torch to see where the other fasteners are and use a long flat head screwdriver to prise them apart as close to the fastener as possible.  The problem with re-fitting is the fasteners are sometimes bent a little and don't line up.  Again use a long screwdriver to push them into line before firmly pressing the trim on listening for the pop as they lock back in place.  Good luck with your repair!

• Love it! 1

To remove the trim; start at the top side edge and get a broad screwdriver or something similar in plastic if you are really concerned about damaging paint, and prise the trim out.  As soon as the first outer fastener pops open use a torch to see where the other fasteners are and use a long flat head screwdriver to prise them apart as close to the fastener as possible.  The problem with re-fitting is the fasteners are sometimes bent a little and don't line up.  Again use a long screwdriver to push them into line before firmly pressing the trim on listening for the pop as they lock back in place.  Good luck with your repair!

Don't forget to remove the screw in the hole next to the pull handle before you do the above!

Edited by booke23
  • Love it! 1

I know the washer fluid doesn't go through the wiper shaft on the estate, I have one!

I meant in general external fluids can seep past the shaft seals and rust up the innards of the motor mechanism, not the motor.

I've fixed several seized rear wipers over the years, all diagnosed as blown fuse, burned out motors and bad electrics when all it was in fact was corrosion on the shaft/bush.

That's why I use my rear wiper frequently and every other car wash I give the externally accessible shaft a good dousing of wd-40.

I had trouble with the rear wiper from November through till February , sometimes it would work fine , then stop hafway other times then pack in completely. It's been fine since works every time thought it might possibly the salt on the roads , works fine clearing rainwater seemed to give problems when window was really dirty .Glad I never bought a replacement about 70 - 80  quid .

I know the washer fluid doesn't go through the wiper shaft on the estate, I have one!

I meant in general external fluids can seep past the shaft seals and rust up the innards of the motor mechanism, not the motor.

I've fixed several seized rear wipers over the years, all diagnosed as blown fuse, burned out motors and bad electrics when all it was in fact was corrosion on the shaft/bush.

That's why I use my rear wiper frequently and every other car wash I give the externally accessible shaft a good dousing of wd-40.

You're better off using GT85 intead of WD40. WD40 evaporates as it's only really a water dispersant whereas GT85 has Teflon which leaves a coating.

• Love it! 1