Pick Up Clutch replacement

Hi

Any advice appreciated.    Have Diesel Pick up P reg based on Felicia - now done approx 200k, been brilliant

Need to do clutch change ( rattle at idle and starting slight slip) 

Have done before with lump out, but how easy to do if I try to just remove box?  Will remove drive shafts, starter etc  but what about room.

I seem to recall not a lot of room to move box  to nearside to get clearance?

Sure I read in past post that end part of box can be removed - but cannot find post

Is that feasible without a whole lot of hassle and new gasket etc

Or just pull whole motor out first as last ?

Yup, box out has worked fine for me on several occasions. The end cover needs to come off on a diesel, just be careful when the end cover is off.. I drop the box out onto a folded up tarp & flattened out cardboard boxes for protection.

Thanks guys,  as you say, I had to take the end cap off - fairly easy and no gasket , so will use a smear of blue on assembly

It was a bit of a pig to get out on my own,  but it is done, but I have to say I am not looking forward to putting it back as it is sure to be harder and also rely on fact that splines on clutch etc are in line as normal.

Even worse, I expected clutch especially thrust to look and feel shot - but they do not seem to be.  I now suspect there may be a gearbox bearing making the noise?

I have a spare box from Felicia Diesel car , so will probably fit that back with the new clutch etc

Not sure if all ratios are same, or at least close , between car and my pick up , would hope so

Has anyone already done this ie fitted car box ( diesel - same year)   or does anyone know where ratios are listed etc - not in Haynes as far as I can see

Thanks for previous advice.   It is a working pick up ( bike shop) , and I will be lost without it , and not so easy to replace - there are just no similar sized picks up made for many a year.

• 3 weeks later...