Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of getting a skoda fabia, an older model second hand something around 2006. Now I have the choice: Do i get the diesel with 89nm of torque (51lbft) more than the petrol or the petrol engine with 20hp more than the turbo diesel?

as far as I can see the insurance is slightly more for the diesel but the turbo is obviously rather tempting  :rofl: to anyone that has a 1.4tdi would be nice to know what the turbo is like, i.e. no noise and not worth the insurance cost or too loud to live with and annoying at the opposite end of the spectrum.

any response would be much appreciated.

Hello Sezza, I had an 04 plate 1.4tdi PD Fabia hatch from June 09 till Sept 13, did 38k miles in that period, got it re-mapped after a couple of months from 79 to 100bhp, made it VERY vibratory if used all the extra torque available at low revs, but OK if willing to drop from 5th to 4th up an incline, smooth over 2,000rpm, sound a bit reminiscent of Porsche flat-six!

With cat de-cored, Millers oil and fuel additive, Green Cotton air filter, and making max use of the increased flexibility bestowed by the re-map, plus coasting on downhills, mpg routinely 76.5 in summer, about 70 in winter.

It's only got 6 valves, and a simple turbo, so was quite sluggish below 2,000rpm when I got it, whereas turbo effect building steadily from maybe 1,300rpm after the mods.  Car looked and behaved as standard, sailed through MOT emissions test, but could put in a nice turn of speed when eg. a ferry to catch!! as similar output to the 4cyl 1.9PD, but a lighter engine being only 3-cyl.

I would recommend you seek some out via eg. Autotrader, and go test-drive as extensively as you can, only you can decide what is/isn't acceptable; I've now got a 4-cyl 1.9PD 105bhp Roomster, very happy with it, with just Millers oil and additive and a Green Cotton panel air filter, averaging between 57 and 61mpg.  

PM me if you want any more 1.4tdi help, I've kept my detailed servicing/repairs notebook, and if you decide to get one, I've the Haynes manual and a Skoda audio system handbook available for a modest sum!  

Build quality generally excellent, coped with roof-bars and a heavy old bike on a carrier with aplomb, and fine for 2-up holiday touring.

• Like 1

thanks for your reply Richard.

I'm sure your completely right in that test driving is a good way to go, and I'm pleased to hear about the economy of the car, 70-76.5 sounds pretty good to me.

You mentioned a fuel additive, is there a brand you use in particular and for the purpose of performance or economy?

Hello again Sezza!  

It's Millers Diesel Power Eco Max, 500ml bottle with built-in 50ml dosing chamber, bottle treats 10x 50 litre tanksfull, find stockist via millersoils.co.uk they're at Brighouse, retail about £13, I get it (and my Millers oil plus filters) at Wood Auto factors here in Wakey, ask for trade, usually about a tenner!  Have been using their stuff since 1988 when the first issue of "Diesel Car" mag appeared, my first diesel an Astra Mk1 1600 LD 5-dr hatch bought used in 1987.

The additive claims to increase power and mpg, reduce emissions, cleans the injectors, adds up to 4 cetane numbers (ie. ease with which the fuel ignites, so helps cold starting esp. in winter, which helps your battery last longer!)

Other makes of fuel additive are available.....

The appropriate Millers oil has changed from XFE-PD 5W40 semi-synthetic (for the Fabia) to Millers Trident Longlife Professional 5W40 for the Roomster, (which is a 4-cyl version of the same PD engine), does petrols and diesels, covers the appropriate VW oil requirement as per the Skoda handbook. I have 1.5litres of the older oil available!!!

• Like 1

thanks again Richard!

I actually hadn't heard of cetane numbers so you've enlightened me to that.

Well I think that's largely cleared things up for me so many thanks and I'll be sure to take a look at the Millers oil you recommend!