Humidity Sensor in Rear View Mirror (I'm confused !)

In Australia, we have a Tech Pack available which, in the Ambition Plus specification, lists as a inclusion "interior mirror with humidity sensor".  

The thing is, as the Ambition Plus has only standard A/C not Climate Control, what use is the humidity sensor in the mirror ?

Not sure it'll be of any use as think only the climatronic system would be able to utilise the sensor; the Climatic semi auto system I would not think has the capability to manage humidity levels.

From the brochure....

Air conditioning. Depending on trim, your Octavia will either be equipped with air conditioning or dual-zone air conditioning with humidity control. Dual-zone allows the driver and front seat passenger to set different temperatures for optimal comfort whilst the humidity sensor directs the airflow as required to keep the windscreen fog free.

From the brochure....

Air conditioning. Depending on trim, your Octavia will either be equipped with air conditioning or dual-zone air conditioning with humidity control. Dual-zone allows the driver and front seat passenger to set different temperatures for optimal comfort whilst the humidity sensor directs the airflow as required to keep the windscreen fog free.

Yes, but that doesn't indicate that the AC works with humidity control, just that the dual zone climate will ?

I would have thought that the basic AC system does not have the intelligence to use the humidy sensor - but happy to hear if it does !

Does the humidity sensor only work when the climatronic is set to auto and/or if the compressor is on? I suspect so given ive encountered some steaming up at times without the compressor on (as it cant dry out the damp air) be interested to know peoples thoughts.

Humidity sensor also helps out the start stop system doesn't it? Uses it to tell whether turning off the engine(and thus ac) would impact the temperature in the cabin. Like the others said I don't know if it needs climatronic to make it work.

It could be that only the humidity sensing rear view mirror can be used with the light and rain sensor, which is also part of the AU tech pack

http://www.skoda.com.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/new-octavia-price_and_equipment_overview_271113.pdf

Humidity sensor also helps out the start stop system doesn't it? Uses it to tell whether turning off the engine(and thus ac) would impact the temperature in the cabin. Like the others said I don't know if it needs climatronic to make it work.

It could be that only the humidity sensing rear view mirror can be used with the light and rain sensor, which is also part of the AU tech pack

http://www.skoda.com.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/new-octavia-price_and_equipment_overview_271113.pdf

I know - it is listed as a $120 "value" for the Ambition Plus in the Tech Pack.  The question is, what does it actually do as it does seem to rely on having climate control.

This (obviously the same tech) - http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/humidity-sensor

A special sensor system reduces misting-up of the windows and enhances comfort by managing the humidity levels inside your car. From the data delivered by the humidity and temperature sensor in the base of the interior mirror, the Climatronic control unit calculates the dew point temperature of the air - that is, the temperature at which the air humidity would condense and cause misting. Also, the humidity inside the car is set to a level which is not irritating to your skin or nasal membranes. An infrared sensor remotely measures the radiated heat on the windscreen, and calculates the window temperature. To prevent the windows from misting up, the automatic air conditioning system regulates the air humidity accordingly.

Also from: http://under-the-skin.org.uk/news_volkswagen_golf.html

The addition of a humidity sensor offers the great advantage that for the first time it is also possible to control the heating function with recirculation mode. This results in significantly quicker heating of the interior without fogging of the windows.

The humidity sensor is also used to run the air conditioning compressor at a lower power level, as needed, reducing energy consumption. Here, the Climatronic automatically deactivates the compressor as soon as it is not needed to reach the desired temperature, or if there is no risk of window fogging and a preset limit for humidity is not exceeded in the interior. For the first time, air conditioning components that are relevant to fuel economy are then only activated as needed and controlled to reduce energy consumption in all operating modes. The interplay of all components of the new air conditioning system leads to considerable fuel savings compared to the previous model.

After reading all that I still don't understand with (standard AC and humidity sensor) if it will do anything ! :-)

In the Plus-Package is also a Rain Sensor included. The humity sensor is built in the Rainsensor. it is called RLFS  (in German: Regen-Licht-Feuchtigkeits-Sensor Rain-Light-humity-sensor)

It is not built in the mirror but in the top of the front window above the camera. The blue dots is the RLFS

http://auto.ch.msn.com/news/skoda-octavia-die-dritte-generation-startet-1?page=25

Indeed, mine has once said something like stop start deactivated to prevent misting in the status screen